Disconcerting whining noise from engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
    did tightening the nut get rid of the rattle?
    Inconclusive. It seems to have helped, but there are two factors that are keeping me from saying it fixed it.

1) I wasn't able to tighten the nut to the specified torque because I don't have the proper tool to hold the clutch still as I tighten it. It's certainly not finger loose any more like it had been though.
    2) all six springs were below spec so I ordered a set of new OEM springs for it, but they haven't arrived yet.

After I get everything buttoned up the way it's supposed to be, I'll add another post to let everyone know the results.

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
      Inconclusive. It seems to have helped, but there are two factors that are keeping me from saying it fixed it.

1) I wasn't able to tighten the nut to the specified torque because I don't have the proper tool to hold the clutch still as I tighten it. It's certainly not finger loose any more like it had been though.
      2) all six springs were below spec so I ordered a set of new OEM springs for it, but they haven't arrived yet.

After I get everything buttoned up the way it's supposed to be, I'll add another post to let everyone know the results.
      Do you have a sound byte of the clutch rattle. The sound coming from my clutch is like a hollow pingy/clinky sound. Kind of like lightly tapping an aluminum wrench against one of the covers. I had someone PM me it's piston slap, but the sound does not come from the buckets, it comes from the lower back right end...stethoscope. I have no compression loss, no power loss, no performance issues and it only starts from 4k rpm while rolling, won't do it sitting still, had to lift the bike and roll the back wheel to narrow down sound area. I am thinking springs and nut for me too... from what I understand, it's more of an annoyance than anything. Just wanting to see if our sounds are similar. Can't tell from your videos.

Comment

I had my stator screws come just a little loose and it made a whining sound, just a thought, I later used Loctite on them after that.

Comment

Badly synched carbs can cause a rattle in the primary gears.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
            Badly synched carbs can cause a rattle in the primary gears.
            I'm pretty sure I have my carbs pretty well bench synched, but I have not done a vacuum sync yet because they need to be gone back through to do a thorough cleaning/jetting/etc. With that in mind, do you still think they could be the cause of my rattling?

Comment

Scott. Put the bike in fourth or fifth gear and jam a hammer handle into the rear brake pedal to hold the brakes on. This will hold the clutch shaft so you can torque it. Use a socket and a length of cheater pipes and get it good and tight. Bend the locking ring tab down and good enough.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Scott. Put the bike in fourth or fifth gear and jam a hammer handle into the rear brake pedal to hold the brakes on.
                You could also use a 2x2 or axe handle through the rear wheel to keep it from turning. I agree with the upper gears.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I would have never thought of either of those methods to keeping the engine from turning. Thanks guys! To paraphrase: "We don't need to stinking clutch basket holding tool!".

Comment

Well, the official tool IS the proper way, as it does not put any strain on any other part of the bike, but there ARE work-arounds.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X