I am pretty sure I am overheating. Drat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
    I wonder what my bike would do if I was running at highway speeds for a long run then puttered along at 10MPH....................
    What sort of filter did you put in I though Suzukis used a dry paper element.
    If uou have an overoiled filter that would cause enleanment.
    The Seafoam would also serve to enlean the mixture
    Lots of convential common sense guys running two strokes in snowmobiles thought incorrectly that a bit more oil was good for their engines as ambient temps rose in late winter.
    Alas this too causes enleanment and holes in pistons.
    Interesting that a heavy oil would peg higher on the gauge
    I used a uni foam filter. I believe it was what was specified but I cant swear to that.

Old people can be cranky .. kind of like old bikes. I dont know if I ever had a bike that liked cruising along at 10mph but going any faster in the community will certainly bring out zealots with torches. Most already are not thrilled with MC owners and there are a couple of guys with really loud bikes that dont make it any easier for the rest of us. To each their own.

So at this point I am clutching at straws. It ran GREAT for about 400 miles and then started to misbehave. Our temps are very high and our humidity is usually very low. It started when I went on an especially spirited jaunt. I really just think I may have dried out the air filter after having cleaned it in detergent and running it in our temps and humidity??

I havent found a single even potential air leak. All my rubbers are in good shape and I sprayed half a can of starter fluid around and went over every clamp. The air that may cause a lean condition is not coming from an extraneous source and my screws are set on the rich side and I am still getting white plugs.

Just trying to be systematic ... I have to imagine it is just drawing to much air through the air filter almost as if I had put on pods. I am NOT a mechanic and 80% of what I learned I learned here but .. I have been trying to absorb the information instead of just following instructions so I could understand how it all works ... and ... it leads me to believe I have to shut down some air or go to bigger jets to add gas to get the balance right. I am using the jets specified for the bike currently and have no modifications. Stock pipes and airbox setup.

The sea foam and/or the summer blend gas are certainly messing with me too. I will report back what happens in the morning ride with the newly oiled filter.

By all means I am ready to just ride the bike and not spend so much time working on it so if anyone has other thoughts ... PLEASE let me have em!!.
    Alex

Comment

my apologies enrichment not enleanment on the air filter
      ever thought of doing a night run? is it appreciably cooler there at nights?
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
        I used a uni foam filter. I believe it was what was specified but I cant swear to that....
        I'm pretty sure that your bike came with a paper filter. I'd go get a stock filter and put that in the airbox.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

dear lord its 30 celsius at 6 am!!!
          How do you live in that climate!
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I will offer this - but know I have a '83 GS850GL

I once ran my bike with a bit of a heavy dose of Seafoam in it - it ran like junk for a while until I thinned the mixture with more fuel.

A Constant Velocity carb will compensate for altitude well up to 14,000 feet elevation - IF yours are CV (?) this should not be a problem.

Running good plain old gas instead of High Test (premium may help)

I run a K&N oiled filter in my bike and I am very careful with the amount of oil used. Too much is not good in my experience.

Good Luck
            Currently in the Stable :
            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              dear lord its 30 celsius at 6 am!!!
              How do you live in that climate!
              By the time I headed out this morning at 9am it was already in the 90's and is expected to hit 107 today. The good thing is it is usually a dry heat so while sitting at a light you feel like you are in a toaster oven but at least you dont spend the day pouring in sweat. It just kind of off gasses

And its nice when much of the rest of the country is fighting bitter cold I still wear shorts.

I installed the reoiled aircleaner in and went for a ride. I have to wait until later to pull a couple of plugs and see what I see. It ran like a top. I even took it through a mountainous area full of sweeping turns and got on it a bit to heat it up good and did about 30 miles in total. Pulled up to 7500 rpms with nary a thought.

It felt a lot more torquey?? I have been riding it alot so I can feel differences like that and it definitely felt like it wanted to jump when hitting the throttle and it hasnt been like that lately. Hope someone can explain that one to me just for my knowledge base.

Still I am having trouble nailing my idle. I either get it to high or to low and I am not finding a sweet spot. In the end it was idling at about 1800-2000 but it didnt want to stall.

Now this may be stupid ... but I discovered after I had cleaned my carbs and put everything back together that it took a couple of days to settle down. I waited until the tach had found its steady spot consistently before dropping the idle to its proper speed. Took about 2 days but I found once it was sitting at a light each and every time at 2500 I was able to lower it to 1200 and I rode it quite happily for some 500 miles. I have no explanation but trying to mess with the idle on day one before it settled in was just frustration.

Comment

My idle usually starts (once off enrichener) at about 1200 - but once really warmed up it sits near 1500 -
                It works great for me - a little more idle speed doesn't hurt a thing but near 200-2500 seems high
                Currently in the Stable :
                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                  My idle usually starts (once off enrichener) at about 1200 - but once really warmed up it sits near 1500 -
                  It works great for me - a little more idle speed doesn't hurt a thing but near 200-2500 seems high
                  I think that is what I am going to shoot for this time. I had been set up at about 900-1000 cold but off enricher and 1100-1200 fully warmed up. I think I feel better about where you are.

Edited to add
                  I pulled two random plugs and they were a nice tan grey color ... NOT bone white. So I think I was indeed suffering from overheating because I was too lean and at least at the moment it seems it was caused by too little oil on my air filter so it was just allowing too much air to pass.

I am going to give it another day or so but I think I could jink up the screws a quarter turn to get it perfect.

I have read pages of how over oiling is bad but you dont hear to much about not enough oil. I just kept looking back from the carb boots and when all else checked out I decided to check inside the air box.

Our temps and super low humidity are brutal on rubber and such. I just had my very nicely painted side cover go bouncing along the road at 60mph yesterday because the rubber grommet that holds it in place just disintegrated. I think just sucking 105f with no humidity through a very very lightly oiled filter dried it out??

I' ready for the cool weather now! But I know I have to keep checking the airfilter or seek out the paper cartridge.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                    I'm pretty sure that your bike came with a paper filter. I'd go get a stock filter and put that in the airbox.
                    So I finally got around to a little research and Rich .. you are completely right. It was a paper filter. When I bought mine it had the uni but was somewhat beat up so I just replaced it with the same.

I THINK ... a paper element in this heat would give me at least more consistent results as far as tuning and staying tuned. Please someone chime in if my logic doesnt make sense but I had the bike running like a dream for about 400 miles with a very very lightly oiled filter. With temps at 105 and very low humidity I just think the air sucking into those two holes in the bottom of the air box is like taking a hair dryer and applying it to the filter element from two inches away for the entire length of the trip .... or the 400 miles I ran the bike.

In that case .. it was bound to get dry and run me out lean. If I go to paper I have to worry about changing it but I dont have to worry about weather conditions changing my tune setup. Does that make sense?

The stock oem filter is $35. Has anyone tried some of the ebay offerings

Comment

Figured I would check back and see if anyone had tried those Emgo Ebay filters? I am just concerned they may let more air through than stock and leave me with no room for carb adjustment. If No one chimes in with they used them successfully I guess I will bite the bullet and go to the oem at $35 .... ouch.

Comment

That Emgo filter would be fine, but I'd get a Hiflo instead.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed! Hiflo ordered.

Comment

Mine idles at 950-1000. They get hot but don't tend to overheat if you keep moving. I rode to work today. Just got home. It's toasty out, and during the hotter months, I only ride in once or twice a week.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                            X