Manual cam tensioner install-how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual cam tensioner install-how to?

Experiencing some top end noise after last trackday on GS 1150 Kat.
    I did not notice any rattling while on track. Bike seemed happy, pulling all day, however a little fluffy surgy in 4th-5th with throttle wide open.
    When I returned home went for a short ride the next day to heat up oil to drain after break in.
    Some nasty rattling I thought might be the starter clutch-no it checks out.
    I was going to check the clutch next, but decided I could do that last, as the sound comes from the middle and high.
    This would be the 3rd dino-oil change plus filter after installing new pistons, and probably 20 heat cycles (250-350 miles), no constant throttle position so far.
    Head has been retorqued @ 50 miles, valves checked, stock cam chain removed and reset after last trackday.
    Seems the spring gets stuck when the slotted screw is released, it rolls forward, puts some pressure on the chain, but I don't think it's enough.
    When I try to turn the spring counter clockwise after tension is set, it's stuck, have use pliers to get it to release.
    Hope it's not a bent valve or a connecting rod bearing causing the noise.
    I ordered one from APE, it's on the way, just wondering what the proper procedure is for putting tension on the chain and how much.
    I'm sure their will be instructions with the tensioner, but was hoping to hear some hands on advice, regarding how much tension is ideal.
    An example would be- what kind of deflection (cam chain slack) between the cam sprockets should I see and whether or not to rotate the crank clockwise several times to see that same amount of slack between cam sprockets. Thanks for any intel.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Installation instructions are on their site.
    Ray.

Comment

Looking for something else i recently saw this page from APE.

I remember reading years ago about warming the bike up, turning the tensioner in until you hear the revs drop slightly and then back it out a 1/4 turn.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks Steve for the link.
        I watched the GSXR 1000 link.
        I hope mine quiets down like that...will see.

Ray suggested I get one a long time ago, but had just ordered replacement o-rings and gaskets for a stock one at that time.

Anyone else install one?
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I put the APE tensioner in this morning, read some threads and watched several videos and 1/4" free play of chain between cam sprockets.
          I installed it when the exhaust cam arrow #1 was flush with the head or that's when I removed the stock one and put the APE in.
          Backing out the nut a quarter turn after seeing 1/4" of slack, seemed to make the chain looser than it was when I removed the stock one.
          So I fussed a bit more, reading somewhere about zero tension on chain and splitting the difference, by backing out a quarter turn.
          Have yet to try starting it.
          If it's still rattling after start up what's the next move? Thanks.

Comment

Unfortunately...something bigger happened.
            Not sure what, seems to quiet down a tad above idle, but it's unlikely the cam chain at this point.
            What does a bent valve sound like or worse a rod or main bearing?

Comment

Working...
            X