Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch problem after cable got hung up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch problem after cable got hung up...

Hi...I just finished adjusting my valves & forgot to put on the little wire clamp that the clutch cable goes thru & is held in place by one of the cam cover bolts. So my clutch cable was sticking out away from the frame, but to make a long story short, I went to move my bike, turning the handle bars & the clutch cable was apparently wrapped around the corner edge of the valve cover & then i heard like a loud snap. At first i thought i broke my clutch cable, but after looking closely it didn't seem to do any thing to it. The cable was intact, the lever was fine, & the clutch still felt good (has pressure when you pull on lever) & the release arm is moving & the pinion shaft going into motor is turning when ya pull the clutch lever in. So i thought everything was ok...Until i tried moving the bike while it was in gear, with the clutch pulled in. It's the same as if you had it in gear & tried to move bike without pulling in the clutch, it doesn't move, it makes no difference weather the clutch is pulled in or not. I haven't even started it yet, still have tank off & other things off (just finished doing valves) But i'm wondering what I may have broke inside the clutch area? You would think it would have broke the cable or even the adjuster tabs on motor or lever, but all those things are fine. I guess I'm gonna have to pull off the clutch cover & have a look, but was hoping maybe some of you could give me an idea as to what might have broke in there, so i have some idea of what I'm getting into beforehand. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.
    1981 GS1100E Stock motor except for Kerker Exhaust w/K&N pods

Did you actually pull the clutch cable out of its sheath to look it over? Sounds like to me it's busted
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

On a cold engine it is normal for the clutch to drag if you try and move the bike in gear with the lever in. It differs between bikes from a slight drag to not being able to move at all.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Did you actually pull the clutch cable out of its sheath to look it over? Sounds like to me it's busted
        If the cable was broken, I don't think he would be observing this:
        Originally posted by JT2Fast4u View Post
        At first i thought i broke my clutch cable, but after looking closely it didn't seem to do any thing to it. The cable was intact, the lever was fine, & the clutch still felt good (has pressure when you pull on lever) & the release arm is moving & the pinion shaft going into motor is turning when ya pull the clutch lever in.
        The mechanism is quite different than on your 550, you can actually see that arm move. On your 550, it's all internal, you have to take things apart to see it.

Comment

I wouldn't mess with the clutch right now. Get everything buttoned up that you were working on. Then start the motorcycle and see what you got. It may just be a couple stuck plates that will free up when running.
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've been sick the last couple of days, so I haven't got everything put back together. But I think i will wait & see what it's like once i get it started. I don't ever remember trying to move the bike while it was in gear with the motor off, but i know i have moved it while in gear with the motor running. I'll just have to wait & see but it sure sounded like something broke. lol Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate it very much.
            1981 GS1100E Stock motor except for Kerker Exhaust w/K&N pods

Comment

Working...
            X