fitting for CV carb fuel level verification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fitting for CV carb fuel level verification

What is and where to get a good fitting to use on the bottom of the CV carbs to attach the clear hose to in order to be able to do that visual fuel level stop check along the outside of the carb bowl?

IIRC those screws are a unique thread and then there is thing about how to seal the fitting.

Any help appreciated..
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Barnhil bolt might have something. They're at 2500 Princeton, Northeast. 505-884-1808

If not I've got an extra set of carbs you could have a screw from. Some guys drill out the center of the bolt and jb weld a short tube to. Barnhill probably has something but et me know if you need a bolt.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Z1 Enterprises

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
        nice tool. For VM carbs though.
        1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
        1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
        1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Any more thoughts on this or specs for the carb plug bolts? I'm considering drill/tapping them to the same thread as the vacuum bolts so I can use the brass vacuum hose fittings I have for balancing the carbs. I want to have a set of 4 so I can set all the levels at the same time (or at least one by one without having to drain all the bowls for each adjustment.

Comment

also, if I get the more standard vacuum fitting size I may be able to get thumbs screws that would make it possible to drain the bowls without tools...maybe nice for putting the bike away?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
              Any more thoughts on this or specs for the carb plug bolts? I'm considering drill/tapping them to the same thread as the vacuum bolts so I can use the brass vacuum hose fittings I have for balancing the carbs. I want to have a set of 4 so I can set all the levels at the same time (or at least one by one without having to drain all the bowls for each adjustment.
              You will have a bit of difficulty drilling to match the vacuum bolts. The drain screws are M6, the vacuum bolts are M5. I know the drain screws are a finer thread, I don't remember if they are 0.7 or 0.5 pitch.

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
              also, if I get the more standard vacuum fitting size I may be able to get thumbs screws that would make it possible to drain the bowls without tools...maybe nice for putting the bike away?
              Adding thumb screws is just another chance for something to leak. Personally, I don't subscribe to the "drain the carbs" school of thought.

For many, MANY years, I treat the gas with Stabil, then park the bike. Specifically, I add enough Stabil to treat 12 gallons (yes, that is a double-dose) to what is usually a partial tank, then ride to the corner gas station. I fill up the tank, then go "around the block". Depending on the weather, the "block" might be about a mile around, 5, 10 or even 20 miles. I then change the oil and filter, run the engine just a bit to circulate the fresh oil and then park the bike. I might top off the battery a time or two over the course of the storage period, but definitely top it off before the season starts. When ready to start the bike, I just prime the carbs, apply "choke", hit the button and it fires right up.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I made some adapters by drilling some screws and using JB weld to attach a piece of tube. Eazy job.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                X