850 top end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 top end

A few years ago, I would have been very apprehensive to attempt any internal engine work. Thanks to this forum, I have the confidence to do my top end. This will be an over the winter project. The bike runs great and doesn't burn any oil. It has developed several slight oil leaks at the head and base gaskets, which is the reason for this undertaking. I have re-torqued the head to see if it would help, but the leaks are still there.

I plan to replace the base and head gaskets, along with valve seals. Since I'll be in there, I'll lap the valves too. I may look into getting some half moons machined into the cam caps to fix my annoying cam walk. (If it's not too expensive)

I'd prefer not to replace the rings. Should the cylinders be honed anyway? Anything else I should do, clean, or look at?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

How many miles are on the bike? You should measure the current rings per the factory manual (free end gap and end gap) to know for sure whether they need to be changed. You need to hone the cylinders for new rings, but can get away without it if you keep the old rings.
    Regards,
    Jason

Comment

Thanks for your reply. The bike has 50,000 miles.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

What about rings?

I've decided to hone the cylinders and replace the rings. I'm leaning toward the CruzinImages rings because of cost. Who has used them? What about longevity? Are they made from the same material as OEM? I'm torn because I'd rather not spring for OEM, but I want something that will last.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I have just ordered some rings from CruzinImages, based on a recommendation from Chuck Hahn.

He says he has installed several sets on various bikes and has been pleased with the results.

Longevity? He didn't mention anything about that, they were customers' bikes.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The difference in price is about $90 between Suzuki and CruzinImage rings for the 850. I did the 850 cylinder swap in my '78 750, and went with stock rings. To me it was worth the extra $ for peace of mind, not having to wonder about them all the time. Most of the reviews I read for the CruzinImage rings were ok, with few reports of early/excessive wear, but almost no long term reviews. One thing to consider is that a new head gasket + base gasket is going to eat up the cost of the savings if you have to put in new rings early.

I suspect the CruzinImages rings are fine, I changed my mind a few times before deciding!
            Regards,
            Jason

Comment

Have you honed anything yet? I will be doing rings this winter too, hopefully will be done with the project by spring!

Comment

Originally posted by Motojoe2492 View Post
                Have you honed anything yet? I will be doing rings this winter too, hopefully will be done with the project by spring!
                Not yet. I'm going to have the head gasket surfaces machined to clean up some pitting. So, I'm going to let the machine shop do the honing for me. The head and cylinders are sitting in my office at work waiting to be picked up. I'll definitely be done before spring too!

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                  Not yet. I'm going to have the head gasket surfaces machined to clean up some pitting. So, I'm going to let the machine shop do the honing for me. The head and cylinders are sitting in my office at work waiting to be picked up. I'll definitely be done before spring too!
                  Nice! I am going to have to avoid any machine work, not in the budget. I do have a guy that can bead blast my head and jug though, that way I can give it all a fresh coat of paint. He also has a ring compressor and file to help me get it back together. We are going to be moving in the next few months so I need this back together and running before then. I am starting to feel the stress! I started stripping the block and sidecovers to polish and paint, but realized the wire wheel I started with was digging a bit deeper than I wanted. Now I need to budget in some nylon abrasive wheels to get that step out of the way lol

Comment

Working...
                  X