Glueing base gasket to cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glueing base gasket to cylinder

Finally Started doing the rebuild on my GS 1000. Everything was going well until I tried to lower the cylinders onto the crankcase while fitting the Pistons. It was getting late and should have waited until morning. i slightly damaged the base gasket so a new OEM is ordered. I don't want to repeat this error so I was considering glueing the new gasket to the cylinder base. This would keep the gasket out of harms way while I fiddle with the Pistons and I would be able to properly position the gasket with the cylinder on a workbench. I have seen various automotive gaskets that have adhesive on one side to aid in installation. I.E. Water pump and thermostat gaskets. Sounds like a good idea to me....
    1978 GS 1000 (pods, V&H 4 to 1, Dyna S, Dyna coils, stage 3 jet kit, Progressive springs, relay mod, 530 chain, Honda regulator, clutch basket welded and shimmed)
    1970 Honda C70

I haven’t done this yet but wouldn’t masking tape that doesn’t leave residue behind work more cleanly than glue?
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

There are two ways I was planning on applying adhesive. Lay the gasket upside down on some cardboard and very lightly mist some 3M spray adhesive. The other idea I had was use some of the sealer left over from joining the crankcase halves. (Very lightly applied)
      Tape is an excellent idea also and will do some trial runs with the slightly damaged gasket while waiting on the replacement gasket. Thanks for the response.
      1978 GS 1000 (pods, V&H 4 to 1, Dyna S, Dyna coils, stage 3 jet kit, Progressive springs, relay mod, 530 chain, Honda regulator, clutch basket welded and shimmed)
      1970 Honda C70

Comment

Even better is a light film of light grease. Either regular "axle" grease or even Vaseline.
        Makes it tacky enough to hold the gasket down, but won't leave any gaps at corners, like tape might.

You certainly don't want to glue anything there, unless you can GUARANTEE that you will never open it up again.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A rubber band around each cylinder will hold the gasket up just fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I like that idea! I just wanted a plan when the new part arrives in order to have better results and now I do. Thanks Tom!!
            1970 Honda C70

Comment

tkent always comes in with the simple but effective solutions. He's like the Russian guy who said "why don't we just use a pencil?" after NASA spent millions to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity.
              sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Now all I need to know is what color rubber bands to use.. Red, green or beige? Maybe NASA will know since the pen thingy has been solved. It really is a very simple solution, just wish I would have come up with it.
                1970 Honda C70

Comment

Just did this on the 550. If the rip is on the egg shaped portion around the oil channels I would toss the gasket. If the rip is anywhere else I would apply a little sealer over the rip and use the gasket.

Also I always apply a coating of sealer (black) on the egg shaped portion, both sides. That's the only place where I've ever seen leaks.

Comment

Do NOT use grease or oil or ANY kind of lubricant on a base gasket unless you want to take it apart AGAIN to fix the oil LEAK it will cause!!!! Gasgacinch is your friend in this case & will help it NOT to leak!! I REALLY wish people that do NOT know what they are talking about would just stop giving BAD advice!!!
                    Ray.

Comment

the green bands are for heavy duty use and entirely appropriate. and I feel your pain, I botched a base gasket doing mine for the first time.
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                        Do NOT use grease or oil or ANY kind of lubricant on a base gasket unless you want to take it apart AGAIN to fix the oil LEAK it will cause!!!! Gasgacinch is your friend in this case & will help it NOT to leak!! I REALLY wish people that do NOT know what they are talking about would just stop giving BAD advice!!!
                        Ray.
                        This is how it is done at the factory. This is why one side is so damn hard to remove. They use a sealant as mentioned and it stays put. Same with valve covers, clutch covers ect. And use SPARINGLY!!! and uniformly or it will ooz out the sides and to undesirable places.

Installation of the Cyl's is simple. I do the inside ones first. rotate to get pistons close to tdc so they are easier to work with. With the ring end gaps spaced 120 degrees apart, try to put 2 sets of rings where they easiest to be able to squeeze together. Ease the pistons into the chamfered cylinder liners till they gently rest on the upper/1st ring set. Squeeze and work the 1 piston ring into the bore. DO NOT use a screw driver. If the cylinder wont drop down to rest on the second ring, use the plastic end of a screw driver to tap, no hammers.There will enough play to now do the same to the 2nd piston. Repeat for 2nd and 3rd rings. Be oh so patient on those oil rings. Repeat procedure on the #1 & 4 cyls.

I'm sure people may ring in with other methods and please do, but this has worked for me and I never snagged a ring, or had to repair a leak.
                        Last edited by limeex2; 12-04-2017, 01:42 PM.
                        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

hmmm... I have this task ahead of me and don't want to do the same.

So that I can understand what went wrong, would I be right to think you had the gasket in position and placed on the top the of bottom end and lowered cylinders over the studs, when you got to the bit where you needed to line the pistons and rings into the pots, and some how you snagged the gasket and caused damage?

So are you now thinking to fix the gasket to the base of the cylinders?

I can't see any other way. This will be a first tear down and rebuild for me and to say I'm nervous enough about it is an understatement, then it seems everywhere I keep reading about the various ways it can go wrong! lol.

I've already had one head gasket damaged in the post http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ead.php?249945

Comment

The forward (most outer) studs should have a hollow tube "pin" installed. These pins position the base gasket and assure it can't move during install of the cylinder. Do you have these pins installed?

gs1000 crankcase.jpg
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Sam 78 GS750 View Post
                              He's like the Russian guy who said "why don't we just use a pencil?" after NASA spent millions to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity.
                              BTW that never actually happened: https://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X