Engine Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Black

I have a 1986 1150 that has been well stored, except for about two years in cold storage, (story goes). There is some corrosion on the engine cases, under the factory black coating. I plan to sand, and probably soda blast the affected areas to prepare for some black spray coating of some kind. I plan to get an air-brush so that I have very fine control, as it is a small area. Any suggestions as to what I should use as a coating to blend back into the existing coating for the best appearance possible?

well, no one has answered so i will. I gave my 83 1100 a "mild" engine repaint 2 years ago, cleaned/degreased very well, very lightly scuffed with a green scotchbrite, then shot a light coat of vht engine paint. It covered the bad spots (broken engine fin fixed with jb weld....shhhh...) and has adhered well enough to the previously painted stuff to show no scuffs after 2 years. Point being, rather than trying to blend in, you might find better results by painting the whole thing. I am certainly no painter, but mine looks purty good.....
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I'll agree that repainting will probably be a better solution. Blending, at least for me, would be very difficult and I doubt I could make it look as good as a complete repaint.

Comment

Working...
      X