No announcement yet.

Question about valve shims...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that was weird. But I think I figured it out. I decided to try another valve with the 2.0 shim, found the suggested shim of 2.6. Installed the 2.6 and rechecked and it was good. I decided to then check the 2.35x shim with calipers and it measured to 2.5. What the heck? I kept on going and was able to shuffle shims and get 4 valves within spec. I need to trade out some shims and finish it up.

Has anyone ever had a shim not measure the same as it was marked, I mean how would it be thicker than it was marked? I can understand it being thinner, it could have been polished.

Comment

I always measure both thickness and diameter. I started this after getting 29mm shims from the box marked 29.5mm at my local dealer.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Yes I measure each one and have found many that were different than marked. Also, when you install shim out them into the bucket with the number facing down..not to the cam side. This keeps the cam lobe from wearing numbers off the shims.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
          Well, that was weird. But I think I figured it out. I decided to try another valve with the 2.0 shim, found the suggested shim of 2.6. Installed the 2.6 and rechecked and it was good. I decided to then check the 2.35x shim with calipers and it measured to 2.5. What the heck? I kept on going and was able to shuffle shims and get 4 valves within spec. I need to trade out some shims and finish it up.

Has anyone ever had a shim not measure the same as it was marked, I mean how would it be thicker than it was marked? I can understand it being thinner, it could have been polished.
          As others have stated I've found shims inaccurately marked too. Also, I've had feeler gauge readings that didn't add up after changing shims. Too much oil can be trapped under the shim giving a false reading so rotating the crank lets the cam lobe squeeze out excess oil, then an accurate measurement can be taken. Maybe stating the obvious here but didn't see this mentioned so just thought I'd add it.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I have been making sure to turn the engine a couple of times to make sure that the valve is opened a couple of times and seat the shim. My problem in measuring the shims is that my calipers will only go to tenths of mm.

Comment

I got digitals from harbor Freight for less than 25 bucks.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
                I have been making sure to turn the engine a couple of times to make sure that the valve is opened a couple of times and seat the shim. My problem in measuring the shims is that my calipers will only go to tenths of mm.
                To accurately measure the shims, you need to use a quality micrometer. Vernier calipers are not the best choice for the job. Hope that helps.

Comment

Chuck, how precise are the ones that you got?
                  Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  I got digitals from harbor Freight for less than 25 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by fixmybrokecomputer View Post
                    To accurately measure the shims, you need to use a quality micrometer. Vernier calipers are not the best choice for the job. Hope that helps.
                    +1 I agree. I never use Vernier/Digital Calipers at work...
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
                      Be sure you are using the Suzuki manual procedure. Type of feelers matters little. If a 2 mm shim still has zero clearance, you may need to replace seats, replace head or try trimming valve stems a bit. Know where you are before doing any of these things. Let me know if I can help.
                      Ray, I finally figured it out. I sent you a PM with a list of shims that I would like to swap with you.

Comment

I'm going to follow this thread, I will be lapping my valves soon and want to get as much info as I can!

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                          I always measure both thickness and diameter. I started this after getting 29mm shims from the box marked 29.5mm at my local dealer.
                          I've never used 29mm shims, but you have to wonder if they would lead to a cam walk sound, or other forms of racket. I've been handed 29s from a dealer who doesn't bother to differentiate.

I once wondered what it was they fit, but whatever it is, I don't own one - or plan to. I now just buy new GS500 shims because on a twin there are only 4 shims anyway.
                          '82 GS450T

Comment

I went to a local dealer one time and after asking for some shims they handed me Kawasaki shims which are smaller. Told them I don't want them and the guy looked at me crooked and said they install them into customer bikes all the time.
                            Last edited by Nessism; 01-30-2018, 11:51 AM.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Are you doing this with the head off or on and properly torqued? If the head is off you are only getting it close as things will change with the compression load of the studs. Get it close, then do it again when it is all back together.
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
                                I've been handed 29s from a dealer who doesn't bother to differentiate.

I once wondered what it was they fit, but whatever it is, I don't own one - or plan to.
                                29.0mm shims fit the KZ bikes that I had and some Yamahas.

I have a modest selection of them, because I have had three KZs and one ZN bike.
                                I make sure they are kept nowhere near my 29.5mm GS shims.

sigpic
                                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride
                                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                                X