Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I still use this Cam Chain Guide (2)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I still use this Cam Chain Guide (2)?

Hello,

I cleaned off the grease and grim and noticed the the coating on the guide was flaking. I chipped off the remaining flakes then sanded it to smooth it out. Can I still use this guide? (see photo below) Does the coating protect the metal or keep it from getting to hot? Any advice will be appreciated?

Thank You,

Jason
    Cam_Chain_Guide.jpg

Mackjas,

I see you are new to the forum. I am going to presume that you are working on a motorcycle. I am going to further presume that it might be a GS, because this is a GS-related forum. All that being said, it sure would be nice to have at least a small clue what bike you are asking about.

Now, down to your question. It's nice that there is a picture, but it's small, and I can't see any problem area(s). There is no coating in existence that will keep a cam chain guide from getting too hot. The guide is in an area that is splashed by warm oil and will never get "too hot".

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Photos too small to see the guide but as long as chunks aren't breaking off, particularly on the running surface, it should be okay.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi Steve,

Yes, joined in 2015 but have mostly browsed the existing forums to find the help I need. I had a valve job done and am reassembling the top-end on my 1980 GS1000G. The picture should increase in size when you click on it, but I have attached another pic just in case that doesn't happen on your end. It sounds like it is still ok to use. I removed all the cracked and flaking coating and the running surface is intact and in good condition. But please let me know if you think otherwise.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks OK to me, but the question remains: what bike? It helps if you have a signature that mentions your bike, so you don't have to remember to mention it every time. Does not have to be anything elaborate like some of us have, just a simple "Current bike: GS xxx".

It's nice that you have your location in your profile. That is the other half of what we tend to ask for. Makes it better to offer suggestions for sourcing local parts, or to see who might be in the area that can help.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Looks OK to me, but the question remains: what bike? It helps if you have a signature that mentions your bike, so you don't have to remember to mention it every time. Does not have to be anything elaborate like some of us have, just a simple "Current bike: GS xxx".

It's nice that you have your location in your profile. That is the other half of what we tend to ask for. Makes it better to offer suggestions for sourcing local parts, or to see who might be in the area that can help.

He said it's a 1980 GS1000G.
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
            X