X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve lobe position - valve clearance

I didn't wanted to hijack Stigys post.
    In short: bought an gs550 from 1980 with 62.000km

3 cylinders have 120psi and #4 only has 90psi. I guess piston rings which got stuck.
    Waiting for new intake o-rings. Took out the sparkplug and poured in some Marvel Oil to see if it loosens up carbon and stuck piston rings. (Engine runs fine)

When checking the valve clearance I saw that there was quite a change between the cam lobes being in vertical or horizontal direction. See below (v=vertical position towards exhaust or intake. H is horizontal position, upwards) figures are in mm

C#1 ex V0.16 H0.11
    In V0.02 H0.09
    C#2 ex V 0.08 H0.11
    In V0.06 H0.01
    C#3 ex V0.06 H0.10
    In V0.09 H0.05
    C#4 ex V0.10 H0.03
    In V0.03 H0.11

I am amazed by the difference, is this normal? Since according to the manual it shouldn't matter. What measurement should I use?

Thanks, Luuk

The factory service manual says it shouldn't matter?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      The factory service manual says it shouldn't matter?
      That's what I saw as well. But since the differences are quite big.. What to do with the shims. Replace so the lowest number stays in spec?
      Cause if I only would have measured the horizontal positions, the intake of #4 is 0.11mm. Therefore the shim needs to be increased with 0.05 which is not possible since the vertical position only measured 0.03mm
      Or am I getting confused?

Comment

There are dozens of threads in the archives about this. Basically, if you point the lobe away from the valve the adjacent valve will be depressed and pushing up on the cam, which skews it in the journal clearance. Positioning the cams per the Suzuki method will result in tighter clearances than pointing the cam away from the valve for this reason.

Does it matter much? NO. But if you use the lobe pointing away process I'd target the top end of the clearance range, and even extend it .04mm.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It can be decoded as "the manual says it does not matter" but that is not what they intended.

If you look at the drawing, you will see lobes pointed up and horizontal, but read the text that is next to the picture.

Also be sure to check out THIS THREAD. Good discussion about valve adjustment. I detail the procedure that is outlined in the factory manual starting in post #17.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys for the explanation. I noticed that the Dutch Suzuki workshop manual is missing some vital information. I will stick to the digital English version and pdf manuals from Cliffs website.

Comment

Working...
            X