16 Valve Engine Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16 Valve Engine Noise

I used to have a 1981 GS650GL and am familiar with the ticking or chattering noise from the valves. Today I started my GSX750 Katana for the first time since bringing it home last fall and was surprised at the amount of noise from the valves. I already adjusted the clearances and all are in spec. Is a 16 valve engine that much noisier than the 8 valve? Other than the valve noise the engine revs beautifully and it has an awesome growl to it.

Cheers!

Well, you have to remember that the clearance is just a bit larger and you have twice as many valves making the racket.

Please keep in mind that the valve clearance on the 8-valve engines always got tighter, but the 16-valve engines can go either way.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I went over my valves but the bike is still fairly noisy when it gets really hot. Not unpleasant. Sounds like a sewing machine.

Noisy ... Whew I bought a Triumph Bonneville new in 2003. Carburated model. That sucker was a RACKET!

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
        I went over my valves but the bike is still fairly noisy when it gets really hot. Not unpleasant. Sounds like a sewing machine.
        That's a pretty accurate description - like a sewing machine. Mine sounds that way when cold. I just got it started yesterday for the first time since my re-build and was surprised at the sound. Perhaps it will get quieter as it warms up. I only let it run for a minute or so then shut it down - it was too cold in the garage!

Cheers!
        K

Comment

Working...
        X