GS850 rattle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 rattle.

I am aware of the cam walk & clutch rattle issues, but this seems different. I have a small but sharp sounding metallic rattle from the stator area. Is there an issue with things loosening up down there that I can check out just by pulling the cover off? This is a good runner but it's getting old with the little leaks & such, and I'd rather upgrade to a nicer bike for what they go for. I Frankensteined this one together after a couple of deer follies, and have ridden it all over the Midwest, but this little tinny rattle is bugging me.

On my gs1000, there are two shim washers on the starter idler gear, one got misplaced and ended up stuck to the magnet on the inside of the rotor. From time to time, it would make noise. It was just by chance I found it. There was a post not long ago that had issues with the lost washer as well. These old machines take a lot of tinkering to keep happy, but the new bikes go to the dealership.
    Last edited by 05Astro; 04-08-2018, 11:21 PM.
    78 Gs 1000, 94 Honda Xr600

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
      I am aware of the cam walk & clutch rattle issues, but this seems different. I have a small but sharp sounding metallic rattle from the stator area. Is there an issue with things loosening up down there that I can check out just by pulling the cover off?
      Yes, and you should really check it out before you go for another ride.

It is not common, but the starter clutch can come loose from the back of the rotor. There are three short screws that hold them together. I have seen them in varying states of "looseness", from just barely loose to actually having one screw completely out (it landed in the oil sump).

Is there a chance that there is a metallic 'clunk' when you press the starter? If so, it's the starter clutch taking up the slack on the loose screws before it starts rotating the crank.

Item #8 in this drawing:

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The starter sounds OK. It will be interesting but I won't get into it for a few more days because it's STILL COLD AND IT'S APRIL. 28 degrees right now

Comment

Oh, the starter itself will sound "OK", but when you push the button there is the 'click' from the solenoid, immediately followed by a 'CLICK' from the loose starter clutch bolts, then it will start just fine.

One other note: if the bike is tuned perfectly, the noise might not happen. If the valves are not perfectly adjusted or the carb sync is off just a little bit, the irregularities in crank speed will cause the rattle you are hearing.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm with Steve on this one. I bet you have starter clutch issues. Just replaced mine last year. It sounded awful! Thanks to Flash's Suzuki for loaning me specialty tools when I need them!

Comment

Working...
            X