Stuck block tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck block tips

Hey guys. I'm trying to get at the piston rings on my 77 gs750 and I'm having a hard time getting the block off. All the nuts and bolts are remover and it won't budge. We tried pulling and using a piece of wood as a cushion while hitting it with a hammer. Tried prying a little but I'm afraid of damaging the fins if I get too aggressive with it. Does anyone have any tips for getting it off? Is this a usual issue? Thanks.

I will assume that you have the cams out, along with the 12 nuts that hold the head to the studs.
    Did you also get the two M6 bolts at the ends?

If all the mechanical retainers have been removed, it's simply a matter of a tenacious gasket, so a few "love taps" with a plastic hammer might help. If you don't have a plastic hammer, try a wood block. If you can get low, tap in an upward direction. Try it from several angles.

If you try prying, make sure that what you are prying against is well-supported and will not break off. The fins break EASILY.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X