Clutch sticky in first gear with clutch pulled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch sticky in first gear with clutch pulled

The bike sat all winter without any oil in the engine. As a result, the clutch was very sticky in first gear with the clutch lever pulled. I'd have to keep the front brake on and rev the engine a bit to prevent forward motion or a stall. I realize that the plates probably dried out over the winter, and the first ride should have taken care of things. However, I've put about 100km on since then and it's still sticky in first gear with the clutch pulled, but only when first started up. After the bike warms up the problem goes away.

Will this eventually clear with time, or are there some adjustments I should be making? For what it's worth I installed a new OEM clutch cable that was installed and adjusted per the manual.

The last thing i want to do is start an oil debate, but what wt. and kind of oil are you using.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm using Rotella T4 15W40 conventional.

Comment

If it's the Katana does it have the hydraulic clutch? Maybe try bleeding it.
        Edit. Sorry I thought your's was the pop-up headlight Katana but noticed it's the '82.
        Last edited by Sandy; 04-25-2018, 11:58 AM.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I think it'll clear up with an oil change personally... make sure the cable is adjusted right.

You could switch to a 10-40w

1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            I think it'll clear up with an oil change personally... make sure the cable is adjusted right.

You could switch to a 10-40w

I hope it clears - it's brand new oil. I'll double check my clutch cable adjustments though.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
              I hope it clears - it's brand new oil. I'll double check my clutch cable adjustments though.
              Yup, new cables will stretch and need to be readjusted.
              1981 Suzuki GS250T
              1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
              1985 Suzuki GS550E
              2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

stop all these band-aid solutions. Pull the plates out and bath them in oil at same time bead blast the steel plates. Make SURE the steel plates go back in the way they came out. There stamp cut and one side is rounded and other has a sharp edge to it

Comment

I had the same exact problem with brand new rotella t4 15w-40 and it didn't clear up even after pulling plates and soaking them. I think the 15w-40 rotella t4 is the cause for both of our problems. I put an ounce of seafoam in the oil and rode it a good 20 miles and it cleared it up. I'm not saying this will help you but it did me. I guess it kind of cleaned the friction plates IDK but it did fix it. The inside of my engine is clean as a whistle though. I wouldn't go putting seafoam in an engines oil with that has tons of crud in it that may break free and clog something up though.

Comment

15w-40 is pretty thick when cold. I'd say fluid drag is probably the issue if it goes away once warm. Try something with a lower winter rating. 10w-40 or 5w-40 if you can find it. I run the 5w-40 synthetic version of Rotella. Don't have any drag unless its really really cold outside. I would avoid seafoam. It just dilutes the oil with solvent.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2018, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt420740 View Post
                      15w-40 is pretty thick when cold. I'd say fluid drag is probably the issue if it goes away once warm. Try something with a lower winter rating. 10w-40 or 5w-40 if you can find it. I run the 5w-40 synthetic version of Rotella. Don't have any drag unless its really really cold outside. I would avoid seafoam. It just dilutes the oil with solvent.
                      I hadn’t considered this possibility. I ran 15W40 in my old GS650 and never experienced this. I’ll give it a go next oil change.

Comment

I don't think an ounce of what's basically alcohol is going to do any harm to over 3 quarts of oil especially since it's made to go in the crankcase anyhow. It may not be the best thing but it did work to fix the drag I'm just going to be sure to change the oil a lil sooner this time around. The thing that makes me wonder about your cold weather temps and 15w-40 being too thick comment is the fact it was dragging for a whole 10-15 miles yesterday although it was 80 degrees here yesterday. Between the ambient temp and bike up to operating temp the drag should have stopped if it was because of the oil being too thick. I added an ounce of seafoam and felt a difference within the first 5 miles and it only continued to get better until no more drag at all.

Comment

Originally posted by leftlostcommonsense View Post
                          I don't think an ounce of what's basically alcohol is going to do any harm to over 3 quarts of oil especially since it's made to go in the crankcase anyhow.
                          Suzuki, nor any other engine manufacturer on the planet, recommends seafoam in the crankcase. The only company that recommends seafoam in the crankcase is seafoam....... and they don't produce engines.

Comment

Suzuki, nor any other engine manufacturer on the planet, recommends seafoam in the crankcase. The only company that recommends seafoam in the crankcase is seafoam....... and they don't produce engines.
                            they don't recommend 15W40 either
                            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.
                              I was plagued with cold clutch drag for years until I lobbed in some 5W40 and kept it in the entire winter. Worked like a charm, sorted the clutch and the engine was a bit more free-revving.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X