Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've searched but can't find the exact answer I'm looking for.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've searched but can't find the exact answer I'm looking for.

Suzuki Gs650gl 1982 clutch pack has a metal ring at the very back of basket then a metal plate which is held in place by a wire which sits in a groove. The wire is broken. Would it be ok to remove the wire and just put the pack back together as it was before just without the wire holding the metal plate in place or does the wire have a reason for making sure that last plate doesn't move? It would be much easier to just throw it all back together and torque it down and go but I don't wish to cause damage to something. Please explain what the wire's use is and if it is necessary. My thoughts is that last metal plate is going to stay in place no matter what considering the spring pressure and whatnot placed on it anyhow. My next question is if I were to replace the clutch handle how far out is an acceptable range for the basket to be pulled out when holding the clutch handle in? Would the pressure plate being pulled out 1/4 - 1/2 inch be sufficient? Thank you.

I have never had to get as far as the ring, but I am under the impression that it helps 'unstick' the stack of clutch plates. Not sure if that is true, but like I said, I have never had to deal with it, so have no experience 'before and after'.

Not quite sure what you are asking about the handle. When the handle is all the way out, there is just enough range of movement to fully release the clutch when the handle is pulled all the way in. I have no idea how far the pressure plate moves, but I doubt it's 1/2 inch. I don't think it's even going to be 1/4", but I have never bothered to measure.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had the same issue with the piano wire. Rapid Ray is adamadamant that it is not necessary- so I left it out. That was 2-3 seasons ago. No issues. I have read a few posts here that omitting it caused issues finding neutral, but in my case its been good.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

i took it out and haven't had any issues with neutral but have to be moving pretty good to switch from 1st to second with or without using the clutch I don't know. I'm having a problem with the bike lugging and trying to move forward when I click into 1st at a stand still and clutch lever pressed in. My bike shifts smooth as butter whether I use clutch or not while going though and the lurch forward and lugging isn't that big of a deal. It doesn't kill the bike just would like to know what causes it. I have the exact amount of oil measured to the exact ml the manual calls for after a filter and oil change so that can't be the issue. Other than these problems the bike runs like a dream.

Comment

The reason I asked about the lever was because I put a different clutch lever on it and wasn't sure if the original maybe pulled the clutch wire more than the other or not but if you say the basket is supposed to only move out maybe 1/4 when you press the lever then I should be in the clear

Comment

"he bike lugging and trying to move forward when I click into 1st at a stand still and clutch lever pressed in. My bike shifts smooth as butter "

make sure the clutch lever arm is angled slightly back...this gives the required cable travel to fully release clutch..see pic. About 1/4 inch of play here before you feel plate contact .once warmed up, it should not jump fourward

image.jpg
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You may also want to go through the clutch adjustment process to ensure everything is working correctly
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sounds like part of the problem is a bit of clutch drag when the oil is cold. The heavier the oil the worse the drag. I use a 20-50 here where I'm at almost all year round. During the colder months when I drop it in first gear with out it warming up good, the bike does a pretty good jump. Once it warms up it pretty much disappears. If that isn't the case with yours, check your adjustments and you may need to pull the clutch plates and inspect them and just clean them off. Worst case is replace the plates if they are out of specs.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                X