82 GS1100 eventually dies at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100 eventually dies at idle

Bike was re jetted for K and N pods before I bought it with a Stage 3 Dynojet kit. Had been sitting for 2 years before I bought it so it really wouldnt idle. After a carb clean and getting the gunk out of all the jets it ran (and runs) great. Replaced some other worn out rubber parts like the boots for the carbs/intake ports. One of the carbs leaked after the clean, until I replaced an o ring for that needle jet (after much research on here!).

*************Bike has been running great and is scary fast but if you're at a stop light, in about 5 seconds the idle will eventually slow down and I'll have to open the throttle a millimeter or two to compensate and hold it like that to keep it revving high enough to stay running. If i dont hold it like that the bike will eventually konk out ever so slowly. *************

Adjusting the speed of the idle (with that 1 main screw under the set of carbs) doesnt work either, the idle will just hang when i blip the throttle, and if i just let it idle with my hand off the throttle, it will slowly die unless i keep turning that needle in.

The fuel screws on top of each carb are about 2 turns in (It says 2 1/2 in the manual but the main jets are bigger than stock). I've tried a little more in, a little more out (on each) but I don't notice a difference.And yes. I have wanted to do a proper carb synch but the little screws to hook up the synchronizer tips to the intakes are f$#kin rusted shut like a mofo. I have already stripped other screws on this bike (and luckily got them out with an extractor or pulverizing said screw with a masonry drill bit) and I just know thats what I'm in for if i try to torque them open. I've let liquid wrench marinade on those babys over night and all that good stuff and still nothing. Damn previous owner let it sit outside so they are really weathered on there.

Any ideas good people of the forum? I have no other issues other than this idle issue. I mean i can still ride it around but its basically annoying to have to hold the throttle in a tad if im at a light.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2018, 05:06 PM.

Originally posted by thewarthog View Post
    The fuel screws on top of each carb are about 2 turns in (It says 2 1/2 in the manual but the main jets are bigger than stock). I've tried a little more in, a little more out (on each) but I don't notice a difference.
    Assuming you mean the pilot screws are 2 turns out, not in, I would say the screws should be ~3-3.25 turns out to run pods, using the stock pilot jets. You will be quite lean at idle with the screws 2 turns out on the stock pilot jets. My 82 1100E is at 3.25 turns out with APE pods and a Kerker 4-1 exhaust. I don't imagine it would idle at all with the screws set to 2 turns out and it is a Canadian model which came with a larger pilot jet than the US model came with.

I am no help on the frozen vacuum port screws, sorry.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
      Assuming you mean the pilot screws are 2 turns out, not in, I would say the screws should be ~3-3.25 turns out to run pods, using the stock pilot jets. You will be quite lean at idle with the screws 2 turns out on the stock pilot jets. My 82 1100E is at 3.25 turns out with APE pods and a Kerker 4-1 exhaust. I don't imagine it would idle at all with the screws set to 2 turns out and it is a Canadian model which came with a larger pilot jet than the US model came with.

I am no help on the frozen vacuum port screws, sorry.

Mark
      Hmm. I've had all of them at 3.25 turns out in the past when trying to figure it out but it seemed to run even worse when accelerating like something was holding it back. I suppose its worth another shot though, they're pretty easy to get to.

Comment

Check the vent on the gas cap, comes apart with just a couple screws. Couldn't hurt.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

have you checked the voltage?

Quick Test

Comment

Tight valves will cause fading idle
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

So will a vacuum leak around the carb to engine boots or the O-rings behind them
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thank you all for the input, it is much appreciated really. When I get back from work today I will take a look at the items you all mentioned and try to single out the culprit and post the results.

Comment

And if it's not an air leak, then it's loose screws. Recently had moving/hanging idle on my 550; bolts shaken loose allowed two carbs to move every so slightly, which in turn moved the needle position, and made for a very elusive troubleshooting.
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Started with the easiest and most obvious thing mentioned, the gas cap, and that appears to be the damn culprit. Wish I had taken a before of this picture I’m including, all that shiny metal was all sooted over black, there was a port behind it that I think was getting blocked as now it idles like a sewing machine and I can visibly see more fuel going through the clear in-line filter I have. About to take it for a test ride. I hope it really was that easy!037B7DCD-C6C2-4556-B931-F100D11A0319.jpg

Comment

D6CF1055-55E2-4905-BC3D-8EB6E92FD42F.jpg another pic for reference

Comment

Never mind, wasn’t the vent cap, that was too easy

Comment

The first reply on this thread was right,it was the fuel mixture screws above the carbs, moved them closer to 2.5 2.75 turns out and walla.

in the words of the fictional Kenny Powers, “finally motherf-/cker”

Comment

Originally posted by thewarthog View Post
                            (...)moved them closer to 2.5 2.75 turns out and walla.

(....)
                            European nitpick: Its voilà, or in a pinch, voila.

Let's hope that was indeed the culprit.
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Update: So it still seems to come and go now, sometimes I wont need to pull the throttle back a tad and sometimes I'll still need to to keep it pulled back a millimeter or so. I checked the voltage and the battery will be in the 14.2-14.4v range when I rev it up like the manual says, so I think i can the charging system out?

Im leaning towards a vacuum leak just cause of how she has been acting so I am going to put a little more grease on the o rings for the carb intake boots. I replaced them with OEM rubber boots and rings and just put a little bit of lubricant on the o rings during the install, but I remember wishing i had something with a little thicker consistency, more like a grease than a lubricant I suppose.

Another poster said the engine vibration possibly due to loose screws in this area could be causing this? I do have pods rather than an airbox so theres no bracket holding all that in place like the airbox typically would, so I guess that could be the issue. I'll make sure everything is nice and snug on re-assembly.

Update to follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X