Valve adjustment hole in one...let's go fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment hole in one...let's go fishing

Hi all - wasn't sure if this should go in Engine or General maintenance - please move if this isn't the proper place. My bike is an "81 GS750X

So in my push to prep the bike for the spring, I finally took at stab at adjusting the valves. Everything was going great until i got to #3 intake. I had the single feeler blade separated out from the rest and was checking away. Sproing goes the feeler gauge out of my hand and i'm 99% sure it went down the channel for the cam chain. Need to do a sweep of the garage floor again but pretty sure it's in there. I was EXTREMELY disappointed and went to Amazon to order some magnet + stick products, flexible magnet stick and one of those iphone endoscope things because, let's be honest, this isn't the first time I've run into a pickle and needed to see into some weird place.

Ok, so for next time: 1. tie a string or something to the feeler! 2. Rag to cover the cam channel!

I know this is potentially an engine killer and it shouldn't be run or rotated. Step one will be doing some fishing when my magnet assortment arrives. I hesitate to ask, what would the best next steps be if I can't fish it out? I currently have the right side cover off as I was swapping the clutch springs. I googled and it looks like others have make similar mistakes (though i didn't see any on GSResources) - some have said that it might be exposed if the clutch basket is pulled or it could fall down to the oil pan - would the same ring true for my GS750? Pulling and tearing apart the engine is a bit above my pay grade...

I welcome any and all creative solutions or condolences, ha. sigh

Don't even think of entertaining the idea that the magnet/stickies and endoscope won't work! If you do, you might be willing to give up before you give it that last try, the one that works.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Appreciate the positive sentiments! Worked through a few stripped/broken bolts in the past week that I thought were hopeless but patience paid off. Hoping for the same here!

Comment

Fishing for stuff can be incredibly frustrating, but well worth the time. Even if it takes a couple of hours it will save from having to dig further if successful.

I once fished an aftermarket coil lead connector nut from the cylinder with stiff wire with tape on the end sticky side out.
        took over a hour, but saved me from having to remove the head.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

My last fishing expedition was for some of these parts:

Fortunately, most of them were in the pools of oil up top, and I was confident enough that the one little piece that was missing was not going to cause any problems.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was checking the valves on my GS550 two weekend ago. Everything was in spec, so I rtv'd the gasket on the valve cover and was trying to get it over the cam chain when I heard tink tonk tonk. Look around and see the dowel fell out and was no where to be found. Got the magnet on a stick out and was fishing through the oil and heard it snap. Got lucky because it was really close to the cam chain tunnel too. Could have been a one hour job that turns into an all day event.
            1981 Suzuki GS250T
            1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
            1985 Suzuki GS550E
            2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Working...
            X