850g engine head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850g engine head

So I have an 81’ 850g and I got a used engine head with valves and cams to put on it. Before when it was running it ran perfect but now with this new used head, I can’t get the bike to idle without giving it gas. Is there a chance that using a head from a different bike would mean I’d have to readjust my carbs?

Unless you are INCREDIBLY lucky, there is a good chance that the cable was installed just a bit differently in the holder when you put the carbs back on. The only way I can see that NOT happening is if you removed the airbox, removed the carbs (but left the cables attached) and pulled the carbs to where the airbox used to be, before removing the head. Any other procedure will likely involve removing the cables from the holders on the carbs, and re-installing them will likely get you a slightly different adjustment.

Just turn the idle screw back up a bit and go for a ride.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I didn’t take the cable off the carbs when I did it. I moved them back where the air box was like you said. Also I was using the idle screw on the back of the carbs and that didn’t seem to do the trick. I was turning to the right. Was I supposed to turn to the left?

Comment

Working...
      X