Clutch Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Adjustment

Hey guys, just serviced my clutch, 79 GS1000. Cleaned all plates, disc's, and new OEM springs, Put it back together with clutch arm in original spot. I have no clutch at the lever. Where do I start to get my clutch back?

"No clutch at the lever" is not much of a description, but I'll try.

Loosen the locknut at the adjuster at the lever. Turn the adjuster all the way IN to give maximum amount of slack in the cable.

Move to the bottom of the cable. Remove the cable from the arm it pulls on to activate the clutch. Spin the adjuster on the end of the cable sheath (threads into the holder on the engine case) so the cable moves toward the right (again, adding more slack). Rotate the arm counter-clockwise (viewed from the top) to take up all the slack. The arm should be roughly parallel to the outer edge of the clutch cover or roughly perpendicular to the cable that will pull on it. If possible, move the arm one tooth outward to take up any slack, then re-attach the cable to the arm. Follow that with adjusting the cable at the bottom end, then fine-tune it at the top.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, your the best!! Perfect. Pulls the front tire off the ground now!!!

Comment

Working...
      X