Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to know if a engine needs rebuilding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking at two 83 750 engines and wondering if I can tell which one would be better to use and if either needs a rebuild.

Its a part of my rebuild thread - https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...uild-questions
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Strip,inspect and measure is the only way I know.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
      Strip,inspect and measure is the only way I know.
      Yep, but if they are both still intact and will turn over, you can do a compression and leak down test on them to get an idea of what you're working with. Neither one of them seem to be overly high mileage, but in your description I can see why you may be concerned.

I could use one of the heads if you think of getting rid of one. I have an 84 700 that has broken fins and looks to be JB welded. There is no leaking but it doesn't look good.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
      X