How to determine if engine is level when not in the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to determine if engine is level when not in the bike

My 1981 GS750 is not in a bike frame. Is there a way to determine if the engine is level (front-to-back, side-to-side). For example, and this might be a bad example, putting a level across the carbs, or using some other flat piece that has a known degree when level?

Side-to-side is easy enough, just use the valve cover, carbs, intake ports, whatever.

Front-to-back will be a bit more difficult, as the engine normally tilts forward a bit.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

For front-to-back would the Suzuki logo on the points cover be considered level when on the center stand?
      Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by dshevnock View Post
        My 1981 GS750 is not in a bike frame. Is there a way to determine if the engine is level (front-to-back, side-to-side). For example, and this might be a bad example, putting a level across the carbs, or using some other flat piece that has a known degree when level?
        I've got to ask, WHY?
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Racing type vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by dshevnock View Post
            Racing type vehicle
            Well the engines have a sight glass for the oil. Use the oil level fill lines as a reference. I would think the side by side would be easily done with a level on the valve cover and extending the full line at the sight glass to the other side with a straight edge and a sharpie would do to get your front to back or at least close enough.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Side to side is easy as everyone else explained. Easiest way to do front to back is use the float bowl gaskets as a reference. They should be parallel to the ground.

Comment

Thanks, fellas!

Comment

Working...
                X