1980 gs850 g. Vibration in stator cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850 g. Vibration in stator cover

1980 gs850 G. Ok so if riding or on center stand in neutral at a very narrow low rpm window there is a loud buzzing style vibration inside my stator cover. I pulled the cover and nothing seems loose no debris or metal shavings. It has been suggested by another guy (smart guy) to check the starter clutch bolts which I will do. While waiting for the pullers to get here I thought I would post here to see what suggestions ya'll had here. I got excited when I pulled the reduction gear and hit the starter button and it vibrated the same as what I was hearing, but that isnt supposed to turn unless starter is under power cause it will burn the starter up. I felt dumb. I shoulda know that from the one way bearing....duh. how do I post videos or do I just link to Facebook for it? Any thought on the vibration. It does it on idle up or down and only for less then or right on a second, and at a higher rpm then idle but not much and while riding it's only in first and In the same rpm right above idle when i take off. The buzz is only about as long as it takes to say the word buzz. Help me before I do something crazy!

I agree, something with the starter clutch seems most likely. If the starter motor by itself can excite the same buzz, then maybe something else is resonating. You'll know more when you get the rotor pulled.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by No.29 View Post
      1980 gs850 G. Ok so if riding or on center stand in neutral at a very narrow low rpm window there is a loud buzzing style vibration inside my stator cover. I pulled the cover and nothing seems loose no debris or metal shavings. It has been suggested by another guy (smart guy) to check the starter clutch bolts which I will do. While waiting for the pullers to get here I thought I would post here to see what suggestions ya'll had here. I got excited when I pulled the reduction gear and hit the starter button and it vibrated the same as what I was hearing, but that isnt supposed to turn unless starter is under power cause it will burn the starter up. I felt dumb. I shoulda know that from the one way bearing....duh. how do I post videos or do I just link to Facebook for it? Any thought on the vibration. It does it on idle up or down and only for less then or right on a second, and at a higher rpm then idle but not much and while riding it's only in first and In the same rpm right above idle when i take off. The buzz is only about as long as it takes to say the word buzz. Help me before I do something crazy!
      Hi NO.29 and Welcome.
      I think you are on the right track. Sometimes the clutch can lock up and drag the starter motor with it. That might explain why the noises are similar. Before pulling off the rotor, play with the clutch, spinning it in the 'free' direction and see if it locks up anytime.
      Also have a good look behind the bottom of the starter ring gear. It's common for the washers on the intermediate gear to fall down there and get left behind. I lost one and found a second when I went fishing with a magnet.
      Now that I think of it were there two washers on the middle gear shaft or not ?
      Both mine were missing and things quietened down quite a bit when I replaced them.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by No.29 View Post
        ... if riding or on center stand in neutral at a very narrow low rpm window there is a loud buzzing style vibration inside my stator cover. ... I got excited when I pulled the reduction gear and hit the starter button and it vibrated the same as what I was hearing, but that isnt supposed to turn unless starter is under power cause it will burn the starter up.
        Maybe I am misundertanding something here, but if you pull the reduction hear and hit the starter button, only the starter would turn. If it vibrated "the same as [you] were hearing", I think you found your problem: the starter.

Then you say "that isn't supposed to turn unless starter is under power [be]cause it will burn the starter up". Exactly what is in place, what is removed and what is moving and/or making noise? I get the impression that you have removed the reduction gear between the starter motor and the starter clutch on the crankshaft. With that removed, it will be impossible to start the engine. In that condition, the only thing that will cause the starter to turn will be pushing the button, and that won't make it "burn up".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok guys did links work. I dont wanna pull the flywheel and starter clutch if I dont have to.
          Steve. No misunderstanding. I pulled the gear reduction gear out just for kicks thinking maybe my starter was what was vibrating and it sounded very similar but as i was informed it should not be spinning while the bike is running so it couldn't be my noise. I understand it wont start with the gear out and it was not running with it out. I was just trying to eliminate the starter as the problem. Still not sure that it's not but my confusion is that it shouldn't be.

Dogma. Waiting for them tools is aggravating I was hoping for an easy fix as to ride it Saturday to a show.....oh well

Brenden W. The starter clutch gear does spin but I'm not sure how free it should spin. At no point while spinning did it every bind up or stop but it wouldn't just spin like a fidget spinner either. How free should it be.

Comment

Pulling the flywheel isn't horrible if you have the tool, especially when the cover is already off. Once you have the tool, you can disassemble your starter clutch and make sure everything is kosher. While you're waiting, you might pull the starter motor and inspect it for signs of wear. Either way, more disassembly seems warranted. The starter shouldn't be buzzing like that, so it probably needs attention anyway. Its bearings might have been roasted if the starter clutch is dragging enough to spin it.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
            X