proud cam chain guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proud cam chain guide

Hi. My Bike is a 1978 gs750. I have just done a dry run at installing the head cover after adjusting the valve clearances.
    The head cover seems to bind on the cam chain front rubber guide. It looks to be about 1mm raised above the head-to-cover mating surface. Please see photo.
    Will this guide just push down as I tighten the head cover bolts? Thanks. Mike.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2019, 11:19 AM.

A clue to what bike is involved would be nice.

But it really does not matter this time around. Did you have the guide out?

It appears that the cams and chain are all installed, but have you checked for binding in the cam chain? If it has skipped a tooth (likely at the crank sprocket), the room taken up by the bound-up chain can prevent full seating of the guide.

Can you push it down with your finger?

Problems with the chain guide aside, what really scares me is that red crap on the tach drive.
    It would be MUCH better to get the o-ring and seal to make that area oil-proof.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The cam cover holds the guide in place. You should be able to easily push it down with your finger to make sure it’s not binding on anything. Dar

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        I am having trouble pushing the guide down with my finger. I gave it a lite tap with a piece of wood and it doesn't go down.
        No I haven't had the guide out. I did remove the bolts from the cam chain idler and resilient mounting blocks and then reassembled them.
        The crank spins freely and the cam chain and cams seem to operate normally. Would this mean that the cam chain is not binding? I am not sure how I should check for this problem.

Steve unfortunately the previous owner went to town with the red crap I think it's RV silicone. I found some in the oil pan sump when cleaning it out. I am hoping it hasn't blocked any of the oil passages.
        Apologies for not mentioning my bike model. I have added it to the post. Cheers.

Comment

Thought I'd add that the guide is easily raised out of it's seat. Please see the photo. Then easily lowered again until it feels like it is seated. Though it is still about 1 mm above the mating surface.
          Also I was wondering could it be possible that the rubber should compress? It seems a little stiff for that to be the case. The valve cover has been off for a couple of months.
          Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps the cam-chain tensioner is holding the cam-chain too tight.
            Try turning the motor backnforth a bit with a wrench at the crank as you push down... You might have to loosen the camchain at the tensioner a little too....

Comment

If you can find the diagram for YOUR engine, it might indicate where the trouble is...(this is for a gsx250/400) It might even be needed to loosen the cam shaft but do this after reading the manual..

Comment

I'm pretty sure that front (exhaust side) guide just sits there. It's fine.
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

you are probably right. The chain is running "down" it anyways so it's not going to shoot the guide upwards.

Is it possible the OP is fitting the valve-cover back to front? I mention it because I've dropped it on backwards once or twice -suprising how well it can seem to fit -it might have given pause when it didn't sit flat.

Comment

Hi. Thanks again for the replies and the diagram. I am trying a few of the suggestions.

I currently have the tensioner removed and will clean and change seals while it's off.
                    I don't think it was functioning properly.The knurled tensioner knob was stuck, it took slight help with vice grips to unfreeze.

With the tensioner removed I am still unable to properly seat the front cam-chain guide (1mm to high).
                    I don't think it is a good idea to rotate the crank with the tensioner removed, is that correct? I was worried about the chain falling off the crank sprocket when loose?

Also I have checked that the valve cover is the correct way around.cheers.
                    thanks.Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebgs View Post
                      I don't think it is a good idea to rotate the crank with the tensioner removed, is that correct? I was worried about the chain falling off the crank sprocket when loose?
                      It is generally not a good idea, but it will not fall off the sprocket.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

new front cam chain guide

Thought I would post a comparison photo of the new and old cam chain guide side by side (please see attachment).
                        the new guide is the one on the right.
                        Note how the new guide is not as raised above the location lugs. I was pretty excited when I saw this. It's as if the good people at Suzuki read my post.
                        The old one being raised above the gasket surface a little over 1mm might have worked because the gasket is about 1-2 mm thick. But it (the old one) is hard as a ceramic tile and would have no give. I was a little worried.
                        The new guide sits flush and is more rubberized. excellent!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Is it possible that something, like the red gunge, has fallen into the guide holder and is preventing the guide going down fully?
                          #3 in the attached fiche
                          ✓access the CAM CHAIN schematic✓find Suzuki CAM CHAIN spares easily✓OEM parts online available
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Mikeb,

I know it's been forever, but did everything work out with the new guide? I'm having the exact same problem, and I'm wondering if I just need to buy a new one.

Comment

Working...
                            X