82 GS750t starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS750t starting issue

I just bought an 82 GS750t and it doesn't like to start but once it starts it runs great. as far as i know its bone stock the previous owner gave me pod filters but he said it leans itself out to much when they're on. would new jets help with that? also how would I go about doing that?

PS. loving this bike so far i cant stop riding.

Hi. Welcome. I have the same bike and love it. I would recommend using the stock intake if you still have it and forget the pods. I know they look cool. Others may disagree. Have someone properly clean your carbs, and veryify your petcock is functioning properly. I assume you're not having a spark problem because the bike eventually starts and runs. These bikes will start right up with just a brief touch of the starter button when the carbs, petcock, intake, and spark are all functioning properly. I'd try to get it starting properly first before trying to switch in the pods which will require larger jets. You're going to get a lot of newbie advice, but you're in the right place. Everyone is here to help and learn. I'm by no means an expert on this or anything.

On starting: if the bike's been sitting for more than a few days, you may have to turn your petcock to prime for 30 Sec or so to fill the float bowls, then switch it back to ON or RES. Full choke, do not use the throttle. Clutch disengaged, press the start button. Once started, adjust choke as needed to fully off within a minute or so. If it's not starting immediately, clean carbs, check petcock, check for air leaks all along the intake and carb circuit.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-13-2019, 11:54 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yes heed the advice given and get the bike running correctly on stock settings then if you must have pods make sure they are quality ones then read all this https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...Bike-has-Pods). Post 1
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

Pics of your "T"?

Oh, and welcome...and I agree with recommendations as well.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Be sure to also go through the valve adjustment as they can cause hard starting if too tight
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

What he says.

V
            Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Be sure to also go through the valve adjustment as they can cause hard starting if too tight
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

My "T" was running fine before I did the valve adjustment. At least I know, it's been done.

Ed

EDIT: post pic of your "T" here:
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

If it is only hard to start when cold, there are two likely culprits.

1. Tight valves. You have the luxury of only needing some basic tools and a valve cover gasket, no other parts, to check and adjust your valves. The range is 0.09-0.13mm, which isn't very big. If you have INCH feelers, that is 0.004-0.005". Keep in mind that the average sheet of paper is 0.003". Since you have the luxury and ease of setting your clearance to anything you want (due to the threaded adjusters), I would set them on the looser side, around 0.12-0.13mm.

2. Improper starting techique. This is common with newer owners that don't understand how the "choke" system works on the carbs. The enrichener system (its proper name) relies on a closed throttle to operate, so if you 'pump' the throttle or open it at all, you are defeating the system. Proper use of the "choke" is to move the lever about all the way to the left, turn the key ON, pull the clutch lever, hit the starter button. If the engine is running too fast, move the "choke" lever. Do NOT use the throttle while starting.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Great advice, Steve.

Para #2 is a good reminder not to mess with the right side of the handle bar during starting procedures.

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                    Para #2 is a good reminder not to mess with the right side of the handle bar during starting procedures.
                    Except for that "stern look" that is necessary to be directed at the starter button.

For those that have never experienced it, when the valves are properly adjusted, the electrics are all working and the "choke" is set correctly, it does not take much of a push on the button. That's why we say it only takes a stern look to get it going.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Funny way to put it Steve. The starter button is the only object to touch. No WOT application required. Lol

Only after the choke lever has been put back to the disengaged position can one start to use the throttle.

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

When it gets below 40F my bike has a very difficult time starting. I've found that if I set the choke, let it off an set it again it'll start MUCH easier. My guess is the enricher acts as an accelerator pump and gives it a bit more gas for starting.
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Hi. This is my first post to this very useful forum, so hopefully I am doing it right. I have used the forum to troubleshoot issues though, especially recently about o-rings! That was huge to stop my gas leak issue! It ran ok, but was pouring gas. The o-rings fixed the leak! I have a stock ‘82 GS750T- stock exhaust, Airbox, etc.
                          My Carbs have been cleaned (more than once), including new needle/seat, jets, and o-rings, in the last 2 months. The only way that I can start it now is by removing the air filter box under the seat and holding my hand over the opening. I can get it started that way (rough but started) and then slightly allow air to go in. Then it shortly dies. Sometimes I can vary the airflow with my hand and keep it running.
                          Of course, I’m not a mechanic and I didn’t sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but over the last many years working on this piece, I have learned a lot. Been tinkering with it for a number of years...I know, it’s all about priorities. However, I am stuck now.
                          Any help as to things to check or adjust, is appreciated.
                          1982 GS750T stock (for now)

Comment

Hi suzgsrider and welcome.

Rather that bury your intro in someone else's issue thread, It's recommended that you start your own introductory thread in the GS owners Forum.

Make a signature, and learn how to post picture (there's one method linked in my signature) so we know if you have the gray one or the maroon one.

There's also other very helpful info in links in my signature.

Huh, Tgrif97 only posted this one time a month and a half ago and never came back. Guess he got his issue sorted. It's annoying when people don't post a follow up so say if it was ever resolved.
                            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-28-2020, 03:11 PM.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                            X