gs650gl beginner trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650gl beginner trouble

hey my names ian im pretty new to the bike scene and i picked up a gs650gl for $700, i already read the deadly sins post and another and sorry to say ive bought a bike that was too cheap to be good. im wondering if anyone here has the oem specs for my air pilot screw turns (i guess aswell as the fuel screw), i watched a carb clean video and used the spray so i did another thing wrong, but the dude in the vid told me take my air pilot screw out and didnt ever show putting it back in, now i know i messed up because i had no clue what is was. im gonna be running it with my airbox, i have a stock exhaust, and i am sure that its stock jetting this bike was untouched for a very long time till it sat by the previous owner and the no knowledge me picked it up. the good news is i took off the black spraypaint and it had the original black/blue with gold pinstripe paint on it, still looks pretty good with small scuffs on it. i get my fuel valve tomorrow the one on it leaks now its a new problem that surfaced, i also had to get another pair of gaskets because the ones i bought were too thin and interfered with my needle having the float bowl rest on it. please if anyone knows the amount of turns im supposed to do or has any advice on what to do so i can get it running again. sorry this may end up being a long post. prior to it being down when i went to check it out the bike was sitting for a minute and he started it up and it had alot of smoke at first, but it ended up being none after i rode it for two days, i would hear the tone of the engine change throughout riding it and it has me believing the carbs may have been out of balance. when i rode it for a little longer of a trip it shut down on me twice in a row when i pulled in my clutch to downshift and stop. it sat at my friends house then didnt want to start back up. also if anyone has a site to get the boot gaskets at i looked on ebay and they didnt have it for the 650 but all the other ones. idk how bad im gonna get roasted for being new to this and not knowing what im doing. but if anyone can help me out please do. if theres a forum on here for my questions direct me to it, i looked at the online manual and couldnt find anything bout adjusting the air/fuel ratio. and unfortunately i cant buy the real one for a minute. please help.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Hi. Welcome. You found the right place to get all the answers you need. Couple of suggestions:

Create a signature that includes the year and model (minimum) of your bike. Then no one will ever have to ask before trying to help you.

You mentioned deadly sins post. If you’re referring to the newbie mistakes thread. Good for you. Great place to start.

Intros should go in the GS Owners forum.

Start threads in the appropriate sub forum. There is a technical forum for carb/fuel/exhaust. Posting your carb questions in the 4 cylinder engine/drivetrain/clutch forum may not get the views and answers you seek.

If you write cliché phrases like “for a minute” instead of what you mean, it’s difficult to know what you mean.

If you write long, run-on paragraphs with little punctuation and no capitalization, it makes a forum post difficult to read. Some who might otherwise be willing to help you may not bother if it’s a chore to read. I’m not a grammar nazi, that’s just a fact.

you can download service manual, owner’s manual, and wiring diagrams, as well as access tons of technical articles on BikeCliffs website. Link is in my signature.

Sorry I can’t help with the carb issues. I’m sure others will be along shortly to offer help. This is a very active forum.

Enjoy your new ride!
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

thanks dude did just that
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Another welcome here, and another request to become familiar with your ENTER key.

Let's start with some basics. You "watched the video and used the spray" tells me that you have not yet properly cleaned the carbs. With that being said, setting the pilot screws is virtually useless. The pilot screw settings depend on having the carbs CLEAN.

Next item, your carbs do not have "air pilot screws", neither do they have "fuel screws".
        What they DO have are "mixture screws", which Suzuki refers to simply as "pilot screws". The setting will depend on many things, but they all are centered on YOUR bike. As mentioned, the carbs need to be CLEAN, not just sprayed. The stock setting at the factory was probably between 1 1/2 and 2 turns out from lightly-seated, but over the years, with the lesser quality of what they are selling as "gasoline" nowadays, it is more likely that you will need 2 to 2 1/2 turns out. When I rebuild a set of carbs, I pre-set them to 3 full turns out. The richer mixture makes it easier to start a cold engine, then when it warms up, I will fine-tune them as necessary.

It is hard to follow in your post whether you addressed any issues with your intake boots, but they certainly need to be in good shape, with good o-rings sealing them to the engine.

Since the bike is new to you, you should also check valve clearances. The specified clearance is pitifully small. If it gets much less, it gets in to dangerous territory rather quickly.

It will also help to know the year of your bike. The 650 was only available in the US for three years, and there were distinct differences between them. The '81 was the only year that had the "snowflake" wheels. The '82 model got the "double-spoke" wheels. '83 continued with the double-spoke wheels, but had a black engine. There were a few other differences, but those are the obvious ones. Some of those differences are rather important, though. There was a change in mid-'82 to the cylinder head that added an extra bolt for the cover. A subtle change, but parts do not interchange.

Which year is your bike?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Those mixture screws come with an o-ring,washer, and spring.....hopeful you saved them. Be careful when you put screw back in....lightly bottom them out, then back off .
          Best to do carbs properly once you extract them....unless you get lucky.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
            hey my names ian
            im pretty new to the bike scene and i picked up a gs650gl for $700,
            i already read the deadly sins post and another and sorry to say ive bought a bike that was too cheap to be good.

im wondering if anyone here has the oem specs for my air pilot screw turns (i guess aswell as the fuel screw),
            i watched a carb clean video and used the spray so i did another thing wrong, but the dude in the vid told me take my air pilot screw out and didnt ever show putting it back in, now i know i messed up because i had no clue what is was.
            im gonna be running it with my airbox, i have a stock exhaust, and i am sure that its stock jetting this bike was untouched for a very long time till it sat by the previous owner and the no knowledge me picked it up.

the good news is i took off the black spraypaint and it had the original black/blue with gold pinstripe paint on it, still looks pretty good with small scuffs on it. i get my fuel valve tomorrow
            the one on it leaks now its a new problem that surfaced, i also had to get another pair of gaskets because the ones i bought were too thin and interfered with my needle having the float bowl rest on it.
            please if anyone knows the amount of turns im supposed to do or has any advice on what to do so i can get it running again.
            sorry this may end up being a long post.

prior to it being down when i went to check it out the bike was sitting for a minute and he started it up and it had alot of smoke at first, but it ended up being none after i rode it for two days, i would hear the tone of the engine change throughout riding it and it has me believing the carbs may have been out of balance.
            when i rode it for a little longer of a trip it shut down on me twice in a row when i pulled in my clutch to downshift and stop. it sat at my friends house then didnt want to start back up. also if anyone has a site to get the boot gaskets at i looked on ebay and they didnt have it for the 650 but all the other ones.

idk how bad im gonna get roasted for being new to this and not knowing what im doing. but if anyone can help me out please do. if theres a forum on here for my questions direct me to it, i looked at the online manual and couldnt find anything bout adjusting the air/fuel ratio. and unfortunately i cant buy the real one for a minute. please help.

Welcome to TheGSR.

Lots of folks here willing to help.

Give me a minute to read it.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Carb float bowl gaskets: OEM part number
              33 13251-44080
              .GASKET

THat is for 81
              (I am assuming the carbs were same all three years)
              Last edited by Redman; 11-08-2019, 01:24 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

/////////QUOTE
                boot gaskets
                ////////////ENDQUOTE

You mean the carb intake boots, the o-ring up against the head.....?
                Look at CycleO-Rings

Comment

Can find copy of service manaul here for 650G/GL

Although the factory service manaul acts like the carb adjustment screws dont exist .

Comment

havent checked this thread since i put it in the right one. steve, i run non ethanol gas but if the turns are different than regular gas is there a way to tell when its running that i need to adjust it, the thing ran rich already not terrible but it did smell, and that was with normal gas thisll be the first time its on non ethanol since ive had it

redman thanks for the gasket link, seriously, im not sure bout these feltpro ones they were way too thin i ordered a second pair to put on the first ones but its obviously not the best choice.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

also how do i check valve clearance if u have a link or if its not a long explanation and you dont mind just typing it.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

1. Download THIS MANUAL.

2. Download THIS TUTORIAL.

3. Download THIS SUPPLEMENT.
                        4. Take advantage of the offer in my signature.

5. Order a valve cover gasket. Note that it depends on your engine's serial number.

6. Set aside a few hours for the first time you do this. Also be aware that you will likely need shims, so don't plan on wrapping it up and going for a ride until you get the new shims in.

7. Do NOT order a shim kit to have extra sizes on-hand.
                        Over half of what you receive will never be used, just save your money.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

we almost never roast anyone for not knowing what they are doing, OR for getting in over their heads. Take one step at a time.
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Stick w/ Steve. If I were you, I'd send send the carbs to Steve. I don't know what he'd charge you. Whatever it is, it won't be near what it's worth. Learn how to do the valve clearances by following all the links Steve posted, and have him send you the spreadsheet. First time is scary. After that, you may even look forward to doing it.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                              I don't know what he'd charge you. Whatever it is, it won't be near what it's worth.
                              Thanks for the recommendation, Rich.

I have thought about charging an arm and a leg, but that would make it REAL hard to ride, so I only charge a few digits.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X