1982 gs750t (tscc) rust in cylinder 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs750t (tscc) rust in cylinder 4

My 1982 gs750t died one day while riding and wouldn't start again. I purchased new gaskets and planned on rebuilding the top end, but when i took the cylinders off, 1,2,3 seemed normal, while cylinder 4 had a dark line across the side that leans forward on the bike. It can be felt with a fingernail. I took it to a machine shop to get their opinion if it needed a honing or a reboring. They said the line was actually rust and it would need to be rebored. Any directions on where to get pistons and rings would be much appreciated. My other alternative is an engine swap. I have a parts bike (a 1979 gs750), but the parts are not interchangeable. Is it realistic to swap an older engine onto the newer bikes, or should I look into sourcing a gsxr engine? Any advice is appreciated! -Thanks
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bikes:
    2016 Suzuki TU250X (Daily/Commuter)
    1982 Suzuki GS750T (Project)
    1979 Suzuki GS750 (in pieces)

Cage:
    2005 Subaru WRX Wagon sh*t box

"died one day while riding and wouldn't start again"
    this seems unlikely due to rust in #4 cylinder..
    I'd just look for a replacement motor and save yourself the hassle and expense .
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah I should have checked compression before I pulled everything off, but when I tried starting it again I could get cylinders 1 2 and 3 to fire but it could not get going. I’m guessing there was little to no compression in 4. I’m gonna take it to another more motorcycle focused shop and see what would be the easiest and least costly replacement.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Bikes:

Cage:

Comment

*Update* I found a replacement cylinder in good shape. Going to buy that and hone it for new rings. Pistons are in good shape so I’m going to reuse those. Going to get the head/valves serviced while I’m at it.
        Bikes:

Cage:

Comment

Glad to read you are taking care of this...

Post pics of your "T" before the major work being done.

Do you have pics posted on your profile?

Ed

EDIT: I didn't see a photo album started on your profile.
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-24-2019, 07:00 PM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
          X