Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery frame submember Allen bolt size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery frame submember Allen bolt size?

1982-83 GS1100E frame sub-member Allen bolts (4) that prevent removal of battery?

Would metric be a good guess?

Fortunately both brothers have metric and SAE sets. Unfortunately they both live in neighboring states. One will be coming with a 'care' package in eight days. Each day gives me more time to think of more items to think of to add to the list. Maybe he'll toss one of my oversize nephews in the back of the car to see if we can bump start it. You can't bring too many tools!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

If somebody has installed non-metric fasteners, be sure to flog them within a centimeter of their life.

I don't know the 1100E well enough to know which bolts you are talking about. Any chance you can point them out in a parts fiche?

If you want a guess, I would say probably a 4mm or 5mm wrench would be proper.
    If those bolts are smaller, like the bolts in the intake runners to sync the carbs, they are 4mm.
    If they are larger than that, they are likely 5mm.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, it would be the gas tank/seat front mount. Definitely 5mm, so an 8mm head?
      I have some nice stainless Phillips screws in mine, (except for the one broken off one..LOL)

Rob...quick question...
      Any reason your brother can't just bring a whole set of wrenches and sockets?
      Or you can't just buy some?
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Oh, Rob. Mon dieu. Yeah, metric is a good guess, you can get a whole set for like 8 bucks at....well, anywhere.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

My opinion, those little fasteners should be slotted screws for said reason. If need to get to the batt., no matter where you are, you can always find a screwdriver or knife blade, you usually won't have access allen wrenches.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            Any reason your brother can't just bring a whole set of wrenches and sockets?
            Oh, he's bringing the whole set. I'm talking about everything except his wife and his large dogs.

You see, The Great Pumpkin passed me by this year. But next year I'll find a pumpkin patch that is real sincere.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              My opinion, those little fasteners should be slotted screws for said reason. If need to get to the batt., no matter where you are, you can always find a screwdriver or knife blade, you usually won't have access allen wrenches.
              And the seat should be hinged. Flip it open, and there's the battery! Like my CB 350 and Kaw 900.

Comment

Sorry man, now I see how stupid that slotted screw head idea is. I think I'll take mine out replace them with allen heads, then start carrying an allen wrench in my pocket instead of a pocket knife.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Did you guys lose your factory tool kit? Every bike I have has theirs and it has allen wrenches. I also throw in some spare fuses and ty-wraps. Come to think of it, I should get some mini test lights to add it each as well.
                  1981 Suzuki GS250T
                  1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                  1985 Suzuki GS550E
                  2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

4 mm Allen head bolt, whole set was $10 taxes and all.

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
                      Did you guys lose your factory tool kit? Every bike I have has theirs and it has allen wrenches. I also throw in some spare fuses and ty-wraps. Come to think of it, I should get some mini test lights to add it each as well.
                      Factory tool kit?
                      I've owned at least 15-20 motorbikes since the '70s, and have never seen a factory tool kit, except for the new bike I ever bought.
                      And that kit was junk...(Kawasaki dirt bike)
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Yeah, they are not snap-on, but they work great when your trying to get your bike going again on the shoulder of the road. I've been there. Even my old dirt bike one was enough to get my fuel fouled plug out so I could dry it and get it started again. Ah the fun of two-strokes.
                        1981 Suzuki GS250T
                        1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                        1985 Suzuki GS550E
                        2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Working...
                        X