Is it time for a head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it time for a head gasket?

Removed the header for refurbishing today, since it needed it and the jack fits better with it off. (Rehab planned on front wheel) Lo and behold what did I find?

IMG_0314.jpg

Now some history. The bike sat for 13 years before I purchased it. Currently has 21,197 miles on it. Since last Feb., I have put about 1500 miles on it. Never noticed any leak until now. Never have re-torqued the head bolts or touched the head in any way.

My question is.....do you think re-torqueing the head bolts will help, or should I bite the bullet and replace the head gasket now while it is winter?
    Last edited by 1978GS750E; 12-24-2019, 04:59 PM.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Manual calls for regular retorquing. That head gasket has been replaced before so who knows about the quality of the work.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

And don't forget, ... if you replace the head gasket, you also need to do the base gasket.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Checked the head bolt torque this evening. Only the outer 4 bolts were a little loose, not much, moved maybe a 1/8 turn. Looks like a top end refurbishing is in my future. Now to decide if I want to just fix the leaking head gasket, or take it all the way to the bare frame and do a complete refurb...…….decisions, decisions. I need a bigger garage!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
          Checked the head bolt torque this evening. Only the outer 4 bolts were a little loose, not much, moved maybe a 1/8 turn. Looks like a top end refurbishing is in my future. Now to decide if I want to just fix the leaking head gasket, or take it all the way to the bare frame and do a complete refurb...…….decisions, decisions. I need a bigger garage!
          The head bolts at the four corners of the head are also the only place where there is an oil passage at or through the head gasket. The re-torque may have helped.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Does this engine also have the nut at the bottom of the cylinder jugs in the front center? If so don't forget to retorque that to.
            1981 Suzuki GS250T
            1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
            1985 Suzuki GS550E
            2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

No bolt in the center underneath. Think I'm going to try and see if the re-torque helped before going further. I don't really feel like tearing it apart right now as my garage is not heated and it will be really cold soon.
              Ron
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Quick head gasket question.....I ordered new OEM gaskets and received them today. The old head gasket was a fiber-type with metal rings around the top of each cylinder. The new head gasket is completely stamped metal. My question is...the old gasket has O-rings around the outer stud bolts on the head, the new one does not. I can't even find them on the parts fiche? Were the O-rings made into the old gasket and the heat caused them to stick to the head when I removed the old gasket? And most importantly...do I need the O-rings with the new metal gasket?
                Last edited by 1978GS750E; 01-14-2020, 08:35 PM.
                Ron
                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I did a complete engine rebuild on a 78 GS1000 about 2 years ago and was a bit confused when the head gasket arrived. The new style metal gasket does not require any additional o-rings. Not even the rectangular one that would normally seal where the timing chain passes. With the same gasket setup you received, my GS has been leak free for the first time since I've owned it.
                  1978 GS 1000 (pods, V&H 4 to 1, Dyna S, Dyna coils, stage 3 jet kit, Progressive springs, relay mod, 530 chain, Honda regulator, clutch basket welded and shimmed)
                  1970 Honda C70

Comment

Are you saying that I do not need "any" O-rings? It seems weird that the metal head gasket would seal without the O-ring around the cam chain tunnel???
                    Ron
                    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Strange, but true. The steel is a bit soft and there is a coating on it that does most of the sealing.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I didn't use the rectangular o-ring and no leaks after I had already purchased that $25 rubber band. It's obsolete with the new style all metal gasket. Just got home from a 150 mile ride. Couldn't resist with 80 degrees outside for the 5th day in a row in South Georgia. Tough winter....
                        1978 GS 1000 (pods, V&H 4 to 1, Dyna S, Dyna coils, stage 3 jet kit, Progressive springs, relay mod, 530 chain, Honda regulator, clutch basket welded and shimmed)
                        1970 Honda C70

Comment

There are 3 types of head gaskets. The original style was fiber and used the rectangular ring. The next iteration was fiber too, but had a smaller cutout at the cam tunnel. You can't use the rectangular ring with it. The 3rd version is the metal one. I had an oil leak at the front of the cam tunnel with a newly installed 2nd version gasket. I still rode it for 2 years with the leak, it wasn't bad. I just changed it out to an original style nos from ebay, using the rectangular ring. So far, so good.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                          X