Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glazed bores.

Hi Guys and Gals,

With this frustrating period in England and being confined to barracks I decided to investigate the high oil consumption of my GS1000.

I brought the bike with pods fitted and could smell a very rich mixture. On investigation of the carbs I found the main jets 10 steps up from original after much testing settled on 3 steps up and put a couple of thousand miles on the old girl. It was a bit of a fill up with oil and check the petrol to start with but it did improve towards the end. There is no obvious smoke out of the exhaust however there is signs of carbon/oil staining around the end.

So I decided to do a top end overhaul as I suspected the valve stem seals. Opened her up, heavy coaking on the pistons, cylinder heads and valves. The valve stem seals were in good condition and looked to have been replaced prior to my purchase. However the cylinder barrels were shiny and looked a honey colour with visible honing still present. So I suspect I have glazed bores due poor running in made worse by a very rich fuel mixture in its previous life.

So in terms of correcting the problem once I get the bores measured and assuming they are within tolerance can I just hone/de-glaze them and use the original rings or will new rings be required. Advice on how to proceed and what to check would be appreciated.

All the best,
    Greg
    Suzuki GS1000 1978
    Honda CB400F 1976

Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.

(subscribed)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Greg65 View Post
      Hi Guys and Gals,

With this frustrating period in England and being confined to barracks I decided to investigate the high oil consumption of my GS1000.

I brought the bike with pods fitted and could smell a very rich mixture. On investigation of the carbs I found the main jets 10 steps up from original after much testing settled on 3 steps up and put a couple of thousand miles on the old girl. It was a bit of a fill up with oil and check the petrol to start with but it did improve towards the end. There is no obvious smoke out of the exhaust however there is signs of carbon/oil staining around the end.

So I decided to do a top end overhaul as I suspected the valve stem seals. Opened her up, heavy coaking on the pistons, cylinder heads and valves. The valve stem seals were in good condition and looked to have been replaced prior to my purchase. However the cylinder barrels were shiny and looked a honey colour with visible honing still present. So I suspect I have glazed bores due poor running in made worse by a very rich fuel mixture in its previous life.

So in terms of correcting the problem once I get the bores measured and assuming they are within tolerance can I just hone/de-glaze them and use the original rings or will new rings be required. Advice on how to proceed and what to check would be appreciated.

All the best,
      Greg
      If I was going through the trouble of pulling the head, I would just go ahead and replace the rings while I had it apart because they're not that expensive, and if it was running as poorly as you said for any length of time, I would want to pull off the old rings and make sure the seats aren't all full of carbon and inhibiting proper seating anyway. But also, are the cylinders shiny as you stated or can you still see consistent cross hatching? Shiny anywhere would be a rehone at the least for me. Do you have any symptoms other than oil consumption? Is the bike overheating? Loss of power?
      1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
      1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
      Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Hi Rust,

No just high oil consumption. It looks like the rings are only 3,000 miles old since a refresh by a PO as cam chain guides, pistons and valve stem seals all look fresh
        Suzuki GS1000 1978
        Honda CB400F 1976

Comment

In that case, I would hone, check its all within spec, and then just send it with what you've got. If you dont already have a hone, I would recommend getting one of the ball hones of the appropriate size for your engine, those work much better in my experience than the "universal" hones.
          1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
          1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
          Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Check the ring to piston groove clearance too to make sure that’s not an issue. If they’re sloppy in there they won’t seat right. I’d assume if someone went through the trouble of honing it, they’d get new rings too. But who knows what POs might do.
            -1980 GS1100 LT
            -1975 Honda cb750K
            -1972 Honda cl175
            - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Just saw you said new pistons.... so they’re likely good.
              I know someone who had to fix a base gasket leak and reused lightly used rings after a ball hone... worked ok for him, but he’s cheap, impatient, and far from a perfectionist... but most will recommend against it. You’ll likely not get any definitive info on that subject, so depends if you’re the experimental type or not.
              -1980 GS1100 LT
              -1975 Honda cb750K
              -1972 Honda cl175
              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Rust_to_Redemption View Post
                If I was going through the trouble of pulling the head, I would just go ahead and replace the rings while I had it apart because they're not that expensive,
                extremely expensive in the uk for Oem rings although I spotted a Oem suzuki set standard bore for £100 on eBay this is £150 cheaper than a dealer.
                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

you may want to check the gap on the oil scrape rings.
                  I have seen several bikes with that gap too large, don't know
                  if those were OEM or not.
                  Replacing just those rings solved the oil issue.
                  Last edited by Rijko; 04-20-2020, 04:07 PM.
                  Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Great advice from all. Really appreciated and will follow up.

thanks,
                    Greg
                    Suzuki GS1000 1978
                    Honda CB400F 1976

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                      extremely expensive in the uk for Oem rings although I spotted a Oem suzuki set standard bore for £100 on eBay this is £150 cheaper than a dealer.
                      To quote Nessism "To measure is to know"

Get everything measured before you make any decisions

You don't know how good/bad a job the last guy did on your motor
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If you need rings, Cruzinimage is good.
                        I used my OEM rings last year, but immediately replaced them in stock with a set of his, after a fair bit of research into the quality of his parts. He gets a really good name on the Honda forums, so thought I'd give it a go.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Worth looking to see the rings are right way up too. If the mileage is as low as you think, the markings should still be visible - and on the top surface.

If you reuse those rings, run them in post deglaze on a mineral oil.

Comment

I had my GPZ 1100 honed and it blew oil as bad or worse than before. Maybe the shop didn't really check for out of round. I was too trusting. Sure was a hassle to tear it all apart again with my hopes of a smokeless motor dashed. I bored it to 1166 with Wiseco pistons. Then it not only didn't burn oil but had a bit more oomph.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Thanks again. The starting point as pointed out is to measure.

Cheers,
                              Greg
                              Suzuki GS1000 1978
                              Honda CB400F 1976

Comment

Working...
                              X