Master Link Sealant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    Mine is one of these... lots of generic ones out there about the same. https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...rivet-tool-kit

Most people break them in one of three ways:

1. Not reading the instructions or watching a how-to video first
    2. Trying to break the chain without filing down the rivet first so lesser force needed
    3. tool misalignment in operation.

Also important to remember not to go too far when peening the rivet over. It takes about 3/4 to one turn of the handle. Any more and you'll split the head
    Yep. Bottom line, with the right tool and a little common sense it's an easy job. More critically, it's an easy job to get right.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Shortly after I bought my bike @ 15 yrs ago, I had someone put on new chain and sprockets. (At least I have no memory of doing it myself) Any-who, there appears to be some kind of gunk on the master link which I can only guess is there to help the link from popping off. Any ideas what this is, and should I use it or something else when I reassemble.

I've use nothing but the clip links, never a failure, then again I don't race, if I did, probably use a rivet link. But I do the same on my clip links, a bit of silicone doesn't hurt, just a safety thing in my mind.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
      X