Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E TSCC Head Removal

Hey friends,

Do you absolutely have to pull the camshafts out of the 550E's TSCC head to remove the head itself or can they be left in place? I'm trying to get this head off and I've removed the rocker cover, oil lines, the 12 acorn bolts inside the head, the entire exhaust, and everything else save for the cams but the head refuses to separate from the cylinder block. I tapped it loose with a nylon deadblow hammer, but all it's done is knocked the cylinders loose from the bottom end, so that now when I pull on the head the entire assembly wants to come up. This is, uh, less than ideal.
    196X BSA Frankenbike Project Firebolt
    1980 Yamaha XS850SG
    1979 Yamaha XS650
    1976 Honda GL1000
    1971 Honda CB500K1
    1983 Suzuki GS550ES

Well, there's the whole issue of the pesky cam chain in the way, keeping the head literally chained to the crank shaft.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Well, there's the whole issue of the pesky cam chain in the way, keeping the head literally chained to the crank shaft.
      The cam chain isn't my problem. I broke it to remove the head. This engine is hashed anyway, I'm just taking it apart to see what happened.
      1980 Yamaha XS850SG
      1979 Yamaha XS650
      1976 Honda GL1000
      1971 Honda CB500K1
      1983 Suzuki GS550ES

Comment

If the cam change is broke then there is no reason you can't pull the head with the cams in place. Realize that there is a short bolt that connects the cylinder to the head in the front center.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          If the cam change is broke then there is no reason you can't pull the head with the cams in place. Realize that there is a short bolt that connects the cylinder to the head in the front center.
          That must be my problem. I completely missed that bolt and didn't see it in the shop manual diagram. Thanks.
          1980 Yamaha XS850SG
          1979 Yamaha XS650
          1976 Honda GL1000
          1971 Honda CB500K1
          1983 Suzuki GS550ES

Comment

Originally posted by BSAKat View Post
            That must be my problem. I completely missed that bolt and didn't see it in the shop manual diagram. Thanks.
            No sledgehammers needed for this one.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              No sledgehammers needed for this one.
              Yeah i dismantled mine and it came apart very easily.
              I removed all the fasteners though. That one out front is a clever bugger.

OP what did you find inside some pics please.

Burnt valves? How were the cylinder bores. Mine still had zero scoring and unworn cross hatch markings.
              Surprising since two valves had lost an edge. No apparent impact damage from this though.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

No sledgehammers? But.....but.....that's the FUN part!
                Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                1981 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                X