Cant get my valves to measure right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant get my valves to measure right

Hi everybody, im tryna do some of that routine mainence on my bike right now but im having a hard time. Im measuring my valve clearance and i keep getting different measurments and measurments that seem wrong. Like for instance, i measured my 4th cylinder intake doing, and it was .08mm, but when i measured again using the method in the book, it was .12mm. and then when i measure other cylinders, im getting measurments of below .03mm. I cant even fit my .03mm feeler guage into the valve. I have a hard time believing that my valve clearance is below .03mm. And im doing it the way my Clymer manual says i should, with the lobe perpendicure to the head. Anyone have any advice or is it rly just my clearance is not?

First tell us what bike. Better yet, put it in your signature. 8v or 16v?
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

There are many many threads on this topic in the archive. Bottom line: follow the Suzuki method because that places two adjacent valves on the base circle at the same time. The Clymer method will result in the adjacent valve to the one your measuring being depressed, which skews the cam in the journal clearance causing the valve you are measuring to have too much clearance (oddly, the opposite of your measurements.) You better go back and double check.

Regarding your valves measuring less than .03mm, that indicates someone abused your bike and didn't do maintenance like they should. The valves pound into the seats with miles and the valve clearance will decrease. Eventually all the clearance goes away and then the valves won't close. At that time carbon builds up as the valves, hang open, and sometimes they even burn and crack. You will likely have to move the shim sizes two steps compared to what shims are installed now.

Lastly, I'd target clearances of .05 to .10mm. Kawasaki's big 900/1000 engines, which were the basis for the GS family of engines, use clearances like these with good results so no worry with going with a little more clearance. It extends the checking interval too.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If it's an 8V engine, member Steve has developed a spreadsheet to help with this job. find him and send him an email, ask him for his valve clearance spreadsheet.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Any chance you are sometimes getting oily gauges stuck together on the times your measurements are going from 8mm to 12mm. I've had 2 feelers stick together a few times.
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            If it's an 8V engine, member Steve has developed a spreadsheet to help with this job. find him and send him an email, ask him for his valve clearance spreadsheet.
            I'll make it easy. Look in my signature.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              There are many many threads on this topic in the archive. Bottom line: follow the Suzuki method because that places two adjacent valves on the base circle at the same time. The Clymer method will result in the adjacent valve to the one your measuring being depressed, which skews the cam in the journal clearance causing the valve you are measuring to have too much clearance (oddly, the opposite of your measurements.) You better go back and double check.

Regarding your valves measuring less than .03mm, that indicates someone abused your bike and didn't do maintenance like they should. The valves pound into the seats with miles and the valve clearance will decrease. Eventually all the clearance goes away and then the valves won't close. At that time carbon builds up as the valves, hang open, and sometimes they even burn and crack. You will likely have to move the shim sizes two steps compared to what shims are installed now.

Lastly, I'd target clearances of .05 to .10mm. Kawasaki's big 900/1000 engines, which were the basis for the GS family of engines, use clearances like these with good results so no worry with going with a little more clearance. It extends the checking interval too.
              so sorry. It’s a 82 GS1100G, and I went online and found a Suzuki manual that said you could measure with either the valve perp to the head or parallel, and I tried parallel and I was actually able to get feeler guages into it. And for the most part they all seemed in clearance but is there anyway it could be wrong. The guages slipped through, but they wouldn’t when I turned the lobes to perpendicular. So I’m confused on the proper way.

Comment

Originally posted by FlordiaMan View Post
                ... I went online and found a Suzuki manual that said you could measure with either the valve perp to the head or parallel, and I tried parallel and I was actually able to get feeler guages into it. And for the most part they all seemed in clearance but is there anyway it could be wrong. The guages slipped through, but they wouldn’t when I turned the lobes to perpendicular. So I’m confused on the proper way.
                The proper way is according to the Suzuki manual, but you have to READ IT CAREFULLY.

Start on the left side of the bike.
                - Rotate the crank so that the lobe on EX1 is pointing FORWARD and EX2 is pointing UP. WITHOUT MOVING ANYTHING, measure BOTH, EX1 and EX2.
                - Rotate the crank 180°.
                - You will find that the lobe for IN1 is pointing UP, IN2 is pointing REARWARD. WITHOUT MOVING ANYTHING, measure BOTH, IN1 and IN2.
                - Rotate the crank another 180°.
                - You will find that EX4 is pointing FORWARD, EX3 is pointing UP. WITHOUT MOVING ANYTHING, measure BOTH, EX3 and EX4.
                - Rotate the crank a final 180°.
                - You will find IN4 pointing UP, IN3 is pointing REARWARD. WITHOUT MOVING ANYTHING, measure BOTH, IN3 and IN4.

If you look closely, with those specific positions, both valves on that side of the cam are on their base circle. Neither one will be pushing down on a valve, which will push the cam to the far side of the bearing, giving a false clearance on the other valve.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Great advice here. Where in Florida are you located?
                  David
                  1998 Suzuki Bandit
                  1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                  1978 GS1000 - gone
                  1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

not unusual at all for clearances to measure below the .03, esp. if they haven't been done in...ever.
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      The proper way is according to the Suzuki manual, but you have to READ IT CAREFULLY.

Start on the left side of the bike.
                      - Rotate the crank so that the lobe on EX1 is pointing FORWARD and EX2 is pointing UP. WITHOUT MOVING ANYTHING, measure BOTH, EX1 and EX2.
                      - Rotate the crank 180°.
                      - You will find that the lobe for IN1 is pointing UP, IN2 is pointing REARWARD. WITHOUT MOVING ANYTHING, measure BOTH, IN1 and IN2.
                      - Rotate the crank another 180°.
                      - You will find that EX4 is pointing FORWARD, EX3 is pointing UP. WITHOUT MOVING ANYTHING, measure BOTH, EX3 and EX4.
                      - Rotate the crank a final 180°.
                      - You will find IN4 pointing UP, IN3 is pointing REARWARD. WITHOUT MOVING ANYTHING, measure BOTH, IN3 and IN4.

If you look closely, with those specific positions, both valves on that side of the cam are on their base circle. Neither one will be pushing down on a valve, which will push the cam to the far side of the bearing, giving a false clearance on the other valve.

An (arguably) even easier way to think about cam position...

1) Rotate engine until 4E (exhaust) is pointing forward at gasket surface. Measure clearance on 4E and 3E.
                      2) Rotate engine until 1E is pointing forward.... Measure clearance on 1E and 2E.
                      3) Rotate engine until 1I is pointing 90 degrees to gasket surface. Measure clearance on 1I and 2I.
                      4) Rotate engine until 4I is pointing 90 degrees.... Measure clearance on 4I and 3I.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by FlordiaMan View Post
                        ....................., but when i measured again using the method in the book,........?
                        I expereinced similar, until Steve set me straight.
                        Follow the Steve proceedure, like in Suzuki manaul (not Clymer), so that both cams on that side are clear of the valve spring.

Also, if cant get smallest feeler guage in there, see if can spin around the bucket then you know there is at least some clearance. Concider the clearance to be just the smallewst amount over zero point zero, and figure the new shim based on that.
                        If cant spin around the bucket, then need to put in a smaller shim and measure/figure from there,to determine what is needed. But also be aware that could be some build up on the valve from not properly closing, and will want to check clearances again after running some (dont wait another 3 or 5 thousand miles).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                        X