Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E 16V: Cannot stop Valve Cover Leak

Morning all,

wanted to post up and try to get some thoughts from the hive mind.
    My bike is an '82 GS1100E 16V. mileage is approx 36k
    I hauled the bike out for the spring, and after the first ride noticed a bit of an oil leak from the front of the valve cover. chalked it up to a couple bolts that have stripped out and bought heli-coils.
    Fast-fwd 2 weeks to when i realized the stripped bolts are on the BACK of the VC. Tightened up (all by hand, don't have a torque wrench for that light of a torque) the bolts around entire VC. Rode 20 min to work and when i got there, found that the oil was just pouring out the front of the VC (makes a really nice bug deterrent when i hit stop-lights, but needless to say its a bit alarming).

Looking at the gasket (new at the end of last season, because the old one was weeping, but not this badly), it looks like it has been pushed backwards (almost like it was squeezed).
    I have a real-gasket on the way, and am likely going to be pulling the motor so that I can properly drill & helicoil those stripped holes, however... does anyone have additional thoughts on causes or fixes here?

More info, the bike has always had a bit of a weep on the base gasket, that I generally disregard... old-bike syndrome.

Anyways, enough of my rambling, just hoping someone may be able to shed some thoughts or insight on a best direction. I am tempted to put gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket and see if i can plug off the leaks for now (i know, not a great solution).

Located in Raymond NH if anyone is semi-local

-Nate

Not sure if I read it in the manual or just folks talking here, but the tightening order should go from inside (near cam chain tunnel) to outside. I've always torqued them down a little at a time in that order so none are completely tightened until all have been snugged up. I figured the gasket could be squished unevenly, or worse the aluminum cover could get twisted a bit, and either of those would create a leak.

Did you follow that sort of iinside to outside tightening pattern?

Is the leakiing gasket OEM?
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Just say'in, a couple of yrs. ago I thought I had a VC gasket leak, more than just seeping, quite a bit of oil blown all around eng. After working on VC gasket a couple of times I realized the leak must be from something else. Finally found an "O" ring on the right front inner head nut was the problem. I know, you should be able to tell if VC gasket leak, but the way the oil was blowing around while riding??? Also be sure to check the tach drive seal. I never remember the VC gaskets causing a "pouring leak" as you described.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
        Not sure if I read it in the manual or just folks talking here, but the tightening order should go from inside (near cam chain tunnel) to outside. I've always torqued them down a little at a time in that order so none are completely tightened until all have been snugged up. I figured the gasket could be squished unevenly, or worse the aluminum cover could get twisted a bit, and either of those would create a leak.

Did you follow that sort of iinside to outside tightening pattern?

Is the leakiing gasket OEM?
        good questions... I honestly don't remember what the tightening process was @ this point. I will check that out.

Gasket... also a good question, don't even remember who I bought it from, let alone which company made it

-Nate

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Just say'in, a couple of yrs. ago I thought I had a VC gasket leak, more than just seeping, quite a bit of oil blown all around eng. After working on VC gasket a couple of times I realized the leak must be from something else. Finally found an "O" ring on the right front inner head nut was the problem. I know, you should be able to tell if VC gasket leak, but the way the oil was blowing around while riding??? Also be sure to check the tach drive seal. I never remember the VC gaskets causing a "pouring leak" as you described.
          The blowing aspect is a good point. I will be cleaning off the engine (and everything else...), re-seating the VC gasket, and seeing if i can pinpoint location. I may be jumping to conclusions of it being VC, but the oil is spread evenly across the entire engine front, and the shifted gasket makes me tend to focus there.

Will check on all that and will be sure to post back in!

Thanks

Comment

I shouldn't have to say this but I will. Probably preaching to the choir. But, you will check valve clearances while you have the VC off anyway, right? Wouldn't make any sense not to.

I don't know if Nate is from Bangor, ME or southern NH, but I know Yankees tend to be pretty bright, and he's got a bunch of bikes in his signature, but ya never know.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              I shouldn't have to say this but I will. Probably preaching to the choir. But, you will check valve clearances while you have the VC off anyway, right? Wouldn't make any sense not to.

I don't know if Nate is from Bangor, ME or southern NH, but I know Yankees tend to be pretty bright, and he's got a bunch of bikes in his signature, but ya never know.
              Oh i fully plan on checking clearances, cause as you say "if you're in there...." It has only had 2k on it since i had them adjusted last year so one would hope nothing has changed...

As for where I'm at... literally just moved, so both locations are true Thanks for the Yankee props, hopefully I live up to them

-Nate

Comment

I have an 81 gs850 with oil all over the front of the engine, and I thought it was the base gasket. Turns out the forks blow oil all over because the pitting on the tubes keeps eating the seals. I have discovered that as I am no mechanic, whatever I think is at fault at first is never what turns out to be the actual problem.
                Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                1981 GS1100E

Comment

its been my experience that the 16 valve gasket is quite thinner than the 8v and is prone to shifting around. I use the absolute minimum torque value on the bolts and it seems to help, higher values seem to cut into the gasket more and exacerbate the problem, at least for me. I have tried using a THIN coat of something like yamabond sealer (not anything goopy like rtv) to glue the gasket to the head with mixed success....but you dont want any squeeze-out getting into things, so go very sparingly. Controversial, I know.
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
                    I have an 81 gs850 with oil all over the front of the engine, and I thought it was the base gasket. Turns out the forks blow oil all over because the pitting on the tubes keeps eating the seals. I have discovered that as I am no mechanic, whatever I think is at fault at first is never what turns out to be the actual problem.
                    unfortunately this is very much so engine oil

To be honest, in my experience (especially with older equip like these bikes) problems are rarely 1-culprit

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                      its been my experience that the 16 valve gasket is quite thinner than the 8v and is prone to shifting around. I use the absolute minimum torque value on the bolts and it seems to help, higher values seem to cut into the gasket more and exacerbate the problem, at least for me. I have tried using a THIN coat of something like yamabond sealer (not anything goopy like rtv) to glue the gasket to the head with mixed success....but you dont want any squeeze-out getting into things, so go very sparingly. Controversial, I know.
                      agreed on the yamabond type stuff, mixed feelings on it for this application. we shall see?

Comment

I’ll second checking the o rings on the head nut.... when the oil starts blowing around it can be hard to see where it’s coming from.
                        Pretty sure you have a 20 bolt cover; But I have the earlier 16 bolt version and have just come to accept seepage from the front of the cam chain tunnel. The head cover gasket I’m using now is a considerably thicker Cometic brand (I’d like to find another)... I still need to wipe it off once in a while, but at least it’s not dripping.
                        -1980 GS1100 LT
                        -1975 Honda cb750K
                        -1972 Honda cl175
                        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

I just took a closer (again) look. the VC gasket has certainly "shifted" but only around the fwd cam-chain area, you can see the gap when looking from the front of the engine. *sigh*. it honestly looks like the gasket has shifted a solid 1/8"

anywho...

-Nate

Comment

There are multiple common ways for the VS to leak.

1.) weeping is commonly associated with old o-ring gaskets on the center two head bolts.

2.) I have fought similar issues with oil leaking/pouring out the front of the VC. It occured on a long trip and i was 1000 miles from more and did not want to pull the VC on the side of the road.

A brand new Commetic VC gasket had squeezed out of the front. The basic problem is that the VC mating surface was crowned and squeezed the gasket out. Since then i alway use a clean flat file to surface prepare all my gasket surfaces.

3.) A real gasket is a big problem for 16V engines becuase it will cause teh cam tach gear to not engage sufficently and grind of teh mating gear on teh cam. Now you have even bigger problem,. Do not use a real gasket on 16V engine!!!!!

4.) If you or the PO are/were a brute, then it might be a good idea to helicoil all of the VC cover bolts. These are easy to strip , but can be easily eliminated with helicoils.

Comment

One thing I noticed years ago when some of my cam cover bolt holes stripped was that the remaining "good" holes had marginal threads at the point of failure.
                              one of my "good" ones failed and although it looked fully seated engine vibrations would make it turn in and out.

Does you bike have a molded rubber gasket with a grrove in the cam cover or a simple flat gasket?
                              Permatex makes a oil resistant aviation gasket sealer that works extremely well.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X