Is anything connected to the case you fill oil in on my bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anything connected to the case you fill oil in on my bike

Took off the stator case because I know oil gets in there and so gas must have got in there too(gas mixed with my oil very good if u didnt know already), sure enough it smells like fresh fumes when all the case bolts are off. Got case off and gonna clean inside of casing and get fresh new gasket.

This thing must've never been opened and had been taken great care of before the owner before me (also a bit of me learning on it) because all the casing bolts had a loud snap when they got loose and the gasket was as dry as plastic.

However I want to take off the other side casing too if nothing is connected to it, honestly I like opening stuff up that i know isnt too complicated for me and get to checkout what is inside, and also i want to make sure engine has least amount of the old oil/gas mix as possible because I'd really like to make sure the engine will be running great.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Have a look here at how things go together.
    ✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GS650GL 1982 (Z) USA (E03)

The clutch cable should be disconnected before opening the cover.
    The service manual has a procedure for this and any deficiencies in the pictures you can go to the parts fiches.

Keep tabs on what length screw goes where, it does matter.
    I get the curiosity and it's a given that there is no limit to what a PO could have done so inspect everything is a good idea.
    However, as you will find out soon enough, there is a limit. It's called don't fix stuff that isn't broke.
    Where is the limit? If we knew that where would the fun be?
    For example. Don't open a side cover for a looksee unless you have a spare gasket, are comfortable using goop or are tolerant of leaks.
    Removing the gas does not require opening that case cover.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 07-07-2020, 06:11 AM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I generally consult my factory service manual. They're free to download on BikeCliff's site. Haynes and Clymer manuals are abundant and can be found cheap second-hand on ebay. I know you know this. Why just start taking things apart without consulting the manual first. Trying not to be snarky about it. But come on. You've been here long enough.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        However, as you will find out soon enough, there is a limit. It's called don't fix stuff that isn't broke.
        On the other hand, there is another school of thought that says "if it's not broken, fix it until it is."

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well let me ask this, is there anything behind that cover that isn't the engine rods and cams and such? Like with taking off the stator case you have all the clutch stuff and the stator ofcourse, is there anything on the other side of the engine behind that case that gets completely engulfed in oil that isnt part of the main ICE layout?

The overkill of gas fumes is whats getting to me it smells so strong that's why I try to get as much as i can out, anything I opened up (valve cover, stator case) the smell of fresh gas fumes is there. Also have some sort of knock, been told it was a burnt connecting rod bearing possibly, want to make sure I get all bad mix out to keep that from getting worse.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Your overthinking this. Pretty much everyone here has had this happen, or seen it happen.
            Just fix what caused it, and change the oil. No need to take it apart, and wipe down the internals.
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

You had gas leaking into the air box - and draining- have you discovered why yet? and did you fix it?? The gas smell is from this as it can run down carb throats too, and wind up in crankcase diluting the oil.. This is a plain bearing motor and needs gas less oil to keep it happy.
              change the oil
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                You had gas leaking into the air box - and draining- have you discovered why yet? and did you fix it?? The gas smell is from this as it can run down carb throats too, and wind up in crankcase diluting the oil.. This is a plain bearing motor and needs gas less oil to keep it happy.
                change the oil
                More-so getting to figuring it out, theres plenty being done to the bike and waiting for parts. Gonna be checking carbs for problem with gas, aswell as retesting fuel valve, and replacing vacuum line with a longer one that wont sit stressed out of shape.

Have brakes, forks, line fittings, and electrical work to do aswell And it's getting done.

The gas smell just really messed with me because it's happened multiple times the more I smell of it the more I'm like $#!%. Needless to say I'll stop worrying about having to tear down the engine to "save" it, gonna find the cause before I keep seeing the effect.

And I'll say I'm not overwhelmed with the workload I'm enjoying it it's just a slow process especially with shipping times, I have a guy to do the job for me if I feel like I'd rather have somebody else doing it.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                X