No announcement yet.

Whining noise when decelerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering if this piece in the center is the other end of what broke off....
    IMG_20201107_215953840~2.jpg
    Last edited by Greg7; 11-08-2020, 10:01 AM.
    1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Greg,

Follow this http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...t_pictures.pdf

And, if you haven't been here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Hey, sounds like you did some productive searching. Good.

Depending on which post you found, maybe you saw why I was asking the questions/clarifications I was asking about if any vibration.
        When I had the threaded shaft (with nut that holds the u-joint onto the secondary drive) break off the back the secondary driven gear I noticed vibration on deceleration (felt thru foot pegs and frame) (that got more noticeable, then worse, over a couple months). You didnt seem to mention an obvious vibration ... so I did not suggest to you that we suspect this failure (if it were to be this failure, the Zooks Repair being a good repair option - if - if you are a machinist.)

But, but, let me ask an oter detail question, just to verify/clarify: When you say you checked and the u-joint had no play in it: Did you just check play in the rotation?, or did you also check for any play forward and back?
        Any play back forward and back (toward front , toward rear) would indicate this failure, then we can talk about the Zook Repair or other options.

I can not add anything about the frothed up lube in the boot (I had a bit of thick black goo), other than there is a big o-ring between the secondary drive flange and the engine case to keep the gear lube in the secondary drive. (not suppose to be the gear lube in the ujoint area) And the frothy like that is usally attributed to water in the lube then it getting whipped up by the mechanical machinations in there (ujoint wizzing around in this case). Maybe is a crack in the boot or one of the clamps not entirley in place or something like that letting in water on occasion. Isn't suppose to be gear lube in there, but I dont think a little bit is a problem, and I suspect doesnt take much oil and a little water to make a lot of froth.
        So it seems the threads on the end of the bevel gear did shear off
        1982 GS1100gl

Comment

aha. I was wondering. "Whining" catches my eye. Looks like zooks syndrome. Been there, done that. Try a search of 'whining" in this "4 Cylinder Engine/Drivetrain/Clutch" section but mainly,

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            aha. I was wondering. "Whining" catches my eye. Looks like zooks syndrome. Been there, done that. Try a search of 'whining" in this "4 Cylinder Engine/Drivetrain/Clutch" section but mainly,
            http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...pair_zooks.pdf
            Thanks. I'll be bringing it to work with me tomorrow to start repairing it. Still trying to figure out how to get the stud that's broken and then it out of that spring loaded coupler though.
            Last edited by Greg7; 11-08-2020, 02:04 PM.
            1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Just buy a replacement low-mileage pumpkin for 30 bucks.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                Just buy a replacement low-mileage pumpkin for 30 bucks.
                I did that too. I don't know if you'd call 80k low mileage though. But it was the only one of a handful I found that listed the mileage and didn't look beat to hell.
                1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7 View Post
                  So it seems the threads on the end of the bevel gear did shear off
                  Your picture is the final drive end (rear wheel),
                  (not the secondary drive at back end of engine), right?

if is at the final
                  drive, is not what I was mentioning.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Your picture is the final drive end (rear wheel),
                    (not the secondary drive at back end of engine), right?

if is at the final
                    drive, is not what I was mentioning.
                    Yes it is of the final drive end. The Zook syndrome/repair applies to this.
                    1982 GS1100gl

Comment

I did that too. I don't know if you'd call 80k low mileage though. But it was the only one of a handful I found that listed the mileage and didn't look beat to hell.
                      Depends how they've been treated, of course, but 80k is nothing to these.
                      300K on mine, but I bought a spare, just in case. I'll have to fit new seals on it, but mechanically it's fine.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yes it is of the final drive end. The Zook syndrome/repair applies to this.
                        No, the Zook syndrome/repair that was documented in the link in post #34 actually refers to a similar issue, but on the engine side, and not on the final drive side.

This is the first time I have seen a break on the final drive side.
                        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Problem solved. It was because of the sheared off thread on the end of the bevel gear. I swapped out the one that came on the new used pumpkin and everything is good now. Now time to adjust valves and balance carbs....
                          1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Working...
                          X