Starter clutch gear play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter clutch gear play

Started hearing a knock. Follows rpms, but doesn't change with clutch in or out. Screwdriver stethescope leads to the stator area. Is this play in the starter clutch gear normal? https://youtube.com/shorts/r76IXin2Wqs?feature=share

No. Looks like you will be pulling the rotor and clutch to replace the three screws.

WARNING: pull them out together, then separate them SLOWLY. There should be 3 rollers, 3 pins and 3 springs. If not done slowly, parts will fly.
    I ride many bikes.
    Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Originally posted by Datsa Noydb View Post
      No. Looks like you will be pulling the rotor and clutch to replace the three screws.

WARNING: pull them out together, then separate them SLOWLY. There should be 3 rollers, 3 pins and 3 springs. If not done slowly, parts will fly.
      THANKS! I figued as much but its great to be sure before pulling it apart. Im excited that I may have found my noise!

Comment

UPDATE: My three screws holding the clutch together were fine. I got to looking at it and could see the basket wasn't sitting all the way down on the tapered spindle. Few hits on the 17mm bolt with the impact and everything is nice and snug now! I am doing valve adjustments and cam tensioner rebuild while its down so I will have to update later about the noise but I'm optimistic that it should be good.

Comment

Thanks for that follow-up.
          I have an 1150 engine that i am going to inspect for the same issue.

What engine were you dealing with?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            Thanks for that follow-up.
            I have an 1150 engine that i am going to inspect for the same issue.

What engine were you dealing with?
            '83 GS750E With 8500 miles on it. I am the third owner, I had an 83 GS100E as my daily driver for several years back in the 90's but I have only had this 750 for a few months still fixing the previous owners mistakes, he replaced the stator but I can't imagine he pulled the basket off. It's been fun discovering all the strange bad mechanic work that has happened including one of the float needles being installed UPSIDE DOWN!!! LOL

I found an impact is almost essential to removing that bolt holding the starter clutch basket on. Mine was very tight even with the basket not fully seated.

Comment

Working...
            X