Rings and pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rings and pistons

Hey guys, thought I would pick your brains and ask a question about pistons.

I need to re-bore my cylinders and replace with 1mm oversize. When I shop ebay for new ones I see two choices. Either Wiseco or ones from cruzin' images

The ones from cruzin'images look like stock pistons with 3 ring grooves and the Wiseco ones pictured only show 2 ring grooves.

Is this because of the newer technology? And finally, what are the opinions from the GSR people who are knowledgeable concerning these things?
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Do you have pic's of the Wiseco ad.
    2 ring are usually 2 stroke and three rings 4 strokes.
    I say the ad has a generic pic of a 2 stroke piston and the actual pistons you will receive will have 3 rings ( 2 compression - 1 oil control).
    Personally i'd go for the forged Wiseco's.
    Last edited by zed1015; 02-26-2022, 04:37 PM.
    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

I've never seen a 1mm over Wiseco kit. Please post a link. Most guys go 3mm over bore to get the extra displacement.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll see if I can find the ad and post a link.

I didn't want to go to the 3mm over because I wasn't sure what all would be involved. Such as carb jetting differences or cam adjustments etc., etc., etc.

As you can see, I don't know what I am getting into, hence the 1mm oversize.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

The 1mm oversize is from cruzin'images on ebay.

And yes the Wiseco is for a standard size as far as I can tell.

@zed1015, the Wiseco ad I was referring to is on ebay.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Just curious Larry - why the 1 mm oversize on all 4 ?
            (and not .5 oversize)
            Are all 4 barrels damaged that badly, and what about the pistons ?

Over the years i have kept cylinder blocks (and the pistons) with usually 1 bad sleeve
            and 3 good ones. Just did not feel right to throw them away.
            A single sleeve can quite easily be swapped, which is a huge cost avoidance
            compared to a re-bore of all 4 and the cost of a set like Wiseco, MTC, JE, etc.
            For normal builds with a tight budget i do that.
            For a GS1000 that i need to be original, too.

Same thing for a single cylinder re-sleeve with a new sleeve.
            Companies like LA Sleeve used to advertise them.
            They don't advertise the stock bore sleeve right now but i think they sell them
            when asked.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post

@zed1015, the Wiseco ad I was referring to is on ebay.
              A quick glance at the Ebay ads all show generic pics of a Wiseco piston.
              One is a 2 stroke piston and the other is a four valve 4 stroke piston.
              Neither is a pic of the actual 2 valve GS1000 piston that you would receive which would have three rings.
              Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
              VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Wiseco makes +3mm and +3.5mm kits for the GS1000. Nothing else, as far as I can tell (I checked the Wiseco website too.)

I've yet to here of a bad experience with the cruzinimage kits.

If anyone knows of any other readily available kits for the GS1000, please share.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                  Just curious Larry - why the 1 mm oversize on all 4 ?
                  (and not .5 oversize)
                  Are all 4 barrels damaged that badly, and what about the pistons ?

Over the years i have kept cylinder blocks (and the pistons) with usually 1 bad sleeve
                  and 3 good ones. Just did not feel right to throw them away.
                  A single sleeve can quite easily be swapped, which is a huge cost avoidance
                  compared to a re-bore of all 4 and the cost of a set like Wiseco, MTC, JE, etc.
                  For normal builds with a tight budget i do that.
                  For a GS1000 that i need to be original, too.

Same thing for a single cylinder re-sleeve with a new sleeve.
                  Companies like LA Sleeve used to advertise them.
                  They don't advertise the stock bore sleeve right now but i think they sell them
                  when asked.

I took the readings on each cylinder per the FSM. Two readings in three different elevations and 16 of the 24 measurements was either at or beyond the service limit which is 70.08. I had bad readings in each of the 4 bores.

My limited time of searching on ebay did not produce any .5 oversized rings or pistons. That's why I felt like it needed 1mm over.

I'm going to take the cylinder and pistons to a pair of machine shops next week and get their opinion of what should be done.

I don't really want to throw a thousand dollars at a re-bore and new pistons (which is what I was quoted) but I also don't want to just part the bike out. I guess it comes down to how badly I want to keep the bike.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Have had nothing to do with Cruzinimage Suzuki pistons but have with Yamaha XS650 ones. The Yamaha pistons are a very good piston and a guy i know who builds XS650's has installed 20 sets and a lot of others have installed them on their rebuilds. I have bought 3 sets. On the XS650 forum there is an ongoing thread from 2013 and no complaints with a lot of pics and comparisons.

Here is the cruzinimage web site and they have a lot more options and parts than they advertise on ebay.

GS100
                    82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                    Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                    Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                    Albums

Comment

Thanks for that positive review of the cruzin image products. I only have used them for rings previously but I have not heard any negative reports on the company.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

I have done several GS1000 with the Cruzinimage parts.
                        The pistons have slightly bigger diameter differences than pistons like
                        Wiseco but since you have to have the cylinders bored that is no issue.
                        Company boring the cylinders should always bore to individual piston size.
                        No issues with those bikes, they run great.
                        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
                        X