X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need frame color feedback !

Hello guys
    I need help ! ya lol
    I am repainting my 81 GS1100E I have a GSXR fork and wheels, The wheels have polished outer rings with the inner 3 spokes painted the same pearl blue as the rest of the bike. The motor is being painted gloss black with mirror polished cases. However my big delema is what color do I powdercoat the frame. CHROME OR GLOSSS BLACK I am trying to not have to much black and thought the chrome would be a nice offset.
    PLEASE SEND AS MUCH FEEDBACK AS POSSIBLE !
    Regards, Archie

The only color that looks good to me on a frame is black. The bar hopper harleys are probably the exception.

Comment

Black or the satin silver frames as on the Kats and 1150's, I think look good.

Earl

Originally posted by Swanny
      The only color that looks good to me on a frame is black. The bar hopper harleys are probably the exception.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
        Black or the satin silver frames as on the Kats and 1150's, I think look good.

Earl

Originally posted by Swanny
        Ah, you would have to point that out, mr. 1150 man!

Comment

I think black is good. 8)

Comment

I've been thinking about doing my frame in gun metal grey.
            Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
            2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

For the frame I vote black. It just somehow always seems it doesn't look right when the frame is colored. But the silver like Earl said actually works too depending on the color of the rest of the bike. But I also have to admit that the Gun Metal Grey that FR mentioned might look sharp too.

But a safe bet is black for a frame. You want the frame to be clean and to be a frame. When you color them they stand out and it draws attention to the area of the bike that is supposed to be subtle.

Comment

frame color

Hey guys thanks for the input , some key ideas I never thought about.
                I think Hoomgar says it best. The frame should not be the focal point. Never gave much thought to that idea. Yes I want the rest of my bike to stand out more than the frame. So I think it will be a gloss black frame after all.
                Thanks guys for this info.
                Regards Archie

Comment

Gloss black! Shows off the motor better! I even had many of my frame, etc, bolts/nuts powdercoated so you don't notice them. The swingarm bolt is polished though.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Frame

Hi keith...
                    Gloss Black with a hint of pearl silver in it, you will only see the pearl in direct sunlight.
                    Or just black (of course powdercoated)
                    I nearly went with Pearl blue, it's the most amazing color I have ever seen, but I figured it might be a bit too much, BUT, I decided to get my Keyboard (3 tier) stand done in Blue pearl.
                    It make mike keyboards stand out when I am on stage. Phil.

Get a price on the coating, and PM me with the price, I maybe able to get it done cheaper......BUT, the shipping to/from may be far too much.

Comment

Re: frame color

Originally posted by ARCHIE ANDERSON
                      Hey guys thanks for the input , some key ideas I never thought about.
                      I think Hoomgar says it best. The frame should not be the focal point. Never gave much thought to that idea. Yes I want the rest of my bike to stand out more than the frame. So I think it will be a gloss black frame after all.
                      Thanks guys for this info.
                      Regards Archie
                      Unless you have something beautiful like a Ducati. mmmmmm 8)

Comment

anyone ever seen a bare-steel frame or bodywork w/ just many layers of clear-coat? On my ride yesterday I was thinking about what color to paint my '81 GS850 next winter and I wondered what a bare-metal bike would look like. I love the industrial/ naked look and wonder if it'd be complimentary... just sandblast everything and clear-coat it.

Comment

You can use some type of media to blast the frame! DO NOT sand blast it, it will leave the metal pitted

Comment

You can use some type of media to blast the frame! DO NOT sand blast it, it will leave the metal pitted
                            Not true, Lynn. Steel is OK to sand blast. If it is pitted it's because there was corrosion or mill scale there that the blasting removed. That said, I would not use sand as a media on my bike. My choice would be glass beads, plastic media or slag media. Beads are not very aggressive and if your frame is very rusty or gunked up they take a long time to get it clean (time = $$$ at the blaster). The best choice I have seen is plastic media, it is between sand and beads in aggressiveness and leaves a beautiful surface to paint or powdercoat.

A tip - before taking a frame (or anything else) to a blaster, wash all of the caked on grease and gunk off. Your blaster will thank you and you will pay less and get a better job out of it. So hit the car wash and clean that gunk off first and everyone will be happier in the end.

Mark

Comment

i think the chrome will over power the other colors and make them look *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ty.

I would go black, it will bring that blue out better

Comment

Working...
                              X