X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing is better than the toy YOU OWN

Because the toy is a gs no matter what year or what day. Live on gs'ers

Comment

Both my boyfriend and I have built streetfighters out of our bikes. He's got a 1200 Bandit, and I've got a '99 GS500. We just worked on mine this winter. cut off the back fender and fabricated a new license plate holder out of stainless steel. Put on Short Stalk style blinkers in the front and back, put on renthal handlebars and kick a$$ double headlight. I'm still looking for an exhaust system, any suggestions? I know that Vance and Hines makes one for my bike, but have never seen or heard that exhaust on a GS.

Comment

Thought I'd logon and show you the latest update to my GS550. Strictly speaking there isn't much of the GS550 left but thats what it says on the registration documents!

I blew the 550 motor last year and caused serious internal damage such that the logical step was to slip in a GSX-R750G engine.

Anyone know what the original bhp output was for the GS550? I think it was 45bhp but this one is 95bhp now! :twisted:

Comment

That is one sick bike you got there! 8)

Comment

I like it - good job! 8)

Comment

did the 750 motor fit in the 550 frame or did you have to do lots of mods to get it to work.

oh by the way good looking bike.

-ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

............8O Whoa, sweet 550

Originally posted by kieron
                Thought I'd logon and show you the latest update to my GS550. Strictly speaking there isn't much of the GS550 left but thats what it says on the registration documents!

I blew the 550 motor last year and caused serious internal damage such that the logical step was to slip in a GSX-R750G engine.

Anyone know what the original bhp output was for the GS550? I think it was 45bhp but this one is 95bhp now! :twisted:

Comment

That's neat.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                    did the 750 motor fit in the 550 frame or did you have to do lots of mods to get it to work.

oh by the way good looking bike.

-ryan
                    Thanks. Work was done by Polygon in Gloucester, England. No modification to the frame was required to fit the engine but they made up some very beefy billet engine mounts and fitted a small riser plate at the rear of the tank to lift it clear of the engine.

Comment

thats cool, did you have to do any frame reinforcment? does the frame dlex at all under load, accel/cornering? what kind of carbs are you useing and how do they fit? on the 550 motor with cv carbs there isn't much room for air filter.

i ask all these questions in case my 550 ever goes south, and a gixxer 750 motor sounds real fun. do you have any diagrams of the motor brackets, like templets or cad files?

thanks,
                      ryan
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Your right there isn't much room on the GS550. The ones I had needed a bit of trimming to fit.

The carbs on the 750 motor are the standard Slingshot carbs that come with the motor, 29mm flatslides, but I'm not using any filters. That may change though.

Still road testing the bike since the new engine install ie. short distances, building speed each time then checking mounts, bolts, oil etc. after shake down so haven't really pushed it to know whether it flexes or not.

Sorry no templates or CAD drawings I'm afraid.

Comment

Whoa, what a difference! 8)

Comment

Cool 550 !
                            Kevin
                            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                            X