X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting chrome fender?

How would you do this guys? :roll:

Sand down, then primer? Would the paint stick then? :roll:

I'm just curious as to why you would want to paint a chrome fender Mike ???

Comment

For me its the only shiny bit I have... Might as well go total rat

Comment

you could acid dip then sand prime and paint

bill acamo
        my bike totaled need to start over

Comment

Just a thought, if your chrome is in good condition why not post it in the parts section and see if someone wants to trade for a painted one?Would be a shame to trash a nice part that someone might be looking for.

Comment

Wow... I thought only my buddy Detman was crazy enough to paint his chrome fender 8O
            I was mistaken...
            2010 Honda VFR1200F
            1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
            Being Revisited
            1981 Honda CM400T
            http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

no prob on the painting man!,....just take some fine sandpaper and sand the heck ou of it first,..(you can use rougher sandpaper to start,..if you wanna cut to the action!. ) an then maybe some fine steel wool,...always use brillo pads an water to finish it offan VOILA!,...perfect paint surface,...(if you know what you doin,....LOL)

Comment

Sikkens has a self etching-primer that will stick to anything.

Comment

I second the recommendation to try to swap with somebody who's got a painted fender already. Short of that, sanding priming and painting should work just as well as on anything.

Make sure you like the style of the fender too, because if you get done painting it and you don't like it, you've just ruined a fender that somebody else may have bought chrome.

I'm gonna paint my stuff too, but I'm looking for the right inspiration about what the final product should look like. Still waiting on that.

Comment

Originally posted by vern courtwright
                    no prob on the painting man!,....just take some fine sandpaper and sand the heck ou of it first,..(you can use rougher sandpaper to start,..if you wanna cut to the action!. ) an then maybe some fine steel wool,...always use brillo pads an water to finish it offan VOILA!,...perfect paint surface,...(if you know what you doin,....LOL)
                    sooo uhhh in response to this dudes comment about the brillo pads and having a perfect paint surface... what planet are you from man??? sorry for my reaction... but after reading that it really kinda caught me off guard... ya see to me from my perspective on painting that's outlandish... if your priming the fender bro finish sanding the substrate (your bare fender) with 320 grit or 400 grit... anyway i support the painting of the fender... what kind of paint areyou planning to use?

Comment

Ive done this to a few bikes, and its easy- go get a sand blaster. if you have access tto an air compressor then the blaster is a few bucks at napa, for a cheapie.

sandblast all the chrome till its got a rough surface. then hit it with scotch brite or fine sanpaper. don't miss anywhere you want paint to stick. after that its like any other metal piece to be painted, and itll look fine.

I wish I wouldve got some pics of the last CB550SS I did, the whole bike was 74 corvette yellow, ( I think that was the year I used,I asked the guys at the paint store what the brightest year was) fenders, side covers,tank, and a 1/4 fairing (used flex additive on the fairing)

I used laquer paint, and a urethane enamel clearcoat, did a small silver graphic through all the panels, kind of a twisty ribbon of road for lack of a better description, and had some prismatic glitter under the clear, looked awesome under lights.

Comment

Working...
                      X