To Screen or not to screen that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Screen or not to screen that is the question

I bought my 83' GS850 about a month ago and I'm debating on whether I want to take off the wind screen off or not. I don't forsee myself taking long trips this year so I'm not sure I need it. Plus it's like 50 million degrees in Texas right now and with my jacket it feels like 100 million degrees since I don't get much air flow with the screen. So what does everyone else prefer?

Oh, I am gonna get in so much trouble here

I recently did a series of tests with different wind shield (not windscreen) configurations on a GS750. I'm 6'2" tall on a stock bike, and this is what it takes to get the wind off my chest, but leave my head in clean air.

The turbulence hits at collar bone level, which is fine.

This is the prototype. Obviously I have to rebuild it for appearance, and to extend it downwards, cos the bottom gap gives a little flutter on the tummy in a T shirt. Nothing with a jacket.

In Hap's honor, I have named it "The Thong".

I am so oughta here

Pete

Comment

That look's..........................REALY interesting!

Comment

Ah You use the word 'interesting' the same way we do

To mean "Jeez, Whatta Crock"

I started with a 14" screen. That's what's left of it after the function got right.

That gives me the measurements required. Now I'll build a pretty version.

What surprised me was how low I had to go to get the buffeting out of my face.

I couldn't make a screen high enough to throw the air over the top of my head without having to look through it, which I don't want to do, so I went lowside.

Pete

Comment

Give us a look when your done.

Comment

Will do. The steel hardware is obviously way over size, cos I started from a much bigger scale. Even at that, it has had 3" cut off each end. I'm coming down to the smallest steel stock I can get off the shelf (about 1/4").

I'm not sure when I'll get it done, cos we're off on hols on Friday, but I'll post it when it's up.

Pete

Comment

No worries!

Comment

WOW different bike!

Now mind you this is the first bike I have owned. I work overnights on Saturday and as soon as I got home this morning I took off my windshield, biggest one I think you can buy, off my GS850 I bought. HOLY COW is it night and day. I jumped on the highway and tore down the road for about 10 miles. I'll admit it I was hanging around 90MPH but I truely understand why I bought the bike now. It felt naked at first but my vision was no longer impaired. I'm 6'1" and the top of the windshield was right on horizon of vision so I always had to adjust my posture.

It's blazing hot here and I have a black riding jacket and full helmet so while the shield will be great for this fall it only helped the baking sensation from the Texas Heat. I LOVE THIS BIKE!

So I was wondering how fast one can get an 850 up to? :roll: LOL

Comment

Re: WOW different bike!

Originally posted by BriTXbike
                  So I was wondering how fast one can get an 850 up to? :roll: LOL
                  Top gear, half the rev limit, read the speedo and double it.

Add a bit if you find a downhill

Pete

Comment

I love naked (can I say that!) bike's,it make's you feel like your really out there.
                    closest thing to flying.

Comment

Across the pond

I see you guys across the pond will be my new buddies on here since were the ONLY ONE'S posting at 2AM here LOL

Comment

It's 10.40pm sunday26th June,this is a good site ,you will have lot's of friend's here,any thing you need to know just ask.
                        Of course Australian's are much more friendly than the American's(tick,tick,tick,tick,tick)

Comment

Working...
                        X