A total newbie question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A total newbie question!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this whole scene, so please forgive my ignorance.

I just got myself a nice 1984 GS550E, and the bike is great, but I'd like to change a few things, if at all possible.

I would like to know if there are any different tail sections that I can put on, something a bit more modern looking. I would also like to have a fatter back tire on it, and perhaps upgrade the seat to a newer style. And last but not least, I'd like to get this front end: http://www.thegsresources.com/_scrip...d.php?RegID=47

Any and all info would be greatly apreciated! Thanks in advance!

I would like to know if there are any different tail sections that I can put on, something a bit more modern looking.
    Anything you can make fit! Seriously, you have to try a few and see what will actually fit. You will also have to make your own brackets, etc., as nobody makes a kit of any sort for this. It is strictly a cut and fit sort of proposition.

I would also like to have a fatter back tire on it,
    You will be limited by two things: rim width and swingarm width. The rim will limit you to a bias type tire (no 160 radials here...) and the swingarm will likely not have much room for anything really wide anyway. Choices to fix this are new rims (17" are the best for the best tire selection) and a swingarm transplant for more width. I have no idea what will fit into your bike for either rims or swingarms. Once again, it is very much a try it and see thing.

And last but not least, I'd like to get this front end:
    That appears to be a stock front end with a fork brace and new paint, but I may be wrong on that. Another 550 owner should be able to confirm that.

Mark

Comment

Working...
    X