Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wax on wax off?

Ok,
    You all know I'm looking to paint my 1100 because the paint is so faded on the top of the tank. Well here's the thing. I was checking to see how much gas I have in it, Becuase my gas gauge works occationally, and I spilt a couple drops of fuel on the tank where it's faded. I don't want anything else to happen to the tank so I ran in side got a paper towel with some water to clean it up. Well where the gas hit the tank cleared up the filmy area. Now could this guy waxed this thing say on a hot day and the wax dryed on the tank? If so how do I remove it and make my tank shine again?. Thanks all.

Matt

3M Fine Cut Polishing compound. Get it at NAPA. Do the whole tank. It will take all of the wax off and brighten any oxadization of the paint.

Chris

Comment

as always chris thanks

Comment

I try. Paint I do know. Get some old tube socks, great for rubbing out the paint.

Chris

Comment

Hey! Good idea. I've got a million of'em.

Comment

me too and none of them match.

Comment

Yo Matt,

Did you get the stuff? FYI. The 3M polishing compound works on anything that can be polished. Chrome, aluminum, etc. Doesn't scratch or leave swirl marks. When your done use a carnuba based wax. Old school, but I don't like the silicone based waxes.

Chris

Comment

Chris,
                Got the 3m did the tank and everything yesterday. Did not remove my haze. I don't know it he did something to the paint. I'll get to that hopefully later this year. Painting that is. But let me tell ya I componded the whole thing, and then waxed it with mother's gold DAM it looks so nice. I'll post some pics here hopefully tomorrow. Thanks again my brother.

Matt

Comment

To remove wax, wash with Pamolive soap detergent or the like. It strips wax right off...
                  2010 Honda VFR1200F
                  1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                  Being Revisited
                  1981 Honda CM400T
                  http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Matt,

Glad you tried it. If the color is still true where the haze is, maybe he overlaid some clearcoat on it, shaker can. If you can live with it , ok, if not you can try to carefully wetsand it down with 1500 grit paper. That's a little tricky, and it takes patience. Don't try it if your not comfortable doing it.

Good Luck,,
                    Chris

Comment

I'm gona wait until I paint the puppy. All in all it looks really good.

Comment

Working...
                      X