Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike repainted (finally)...with pics

Hey,

I bought my 1980 GS550L two years ago and have wanted to paint it since I got it. Just before I bought it, the previous owner spray painted it and did a rather lousy job. I figured since I had a couple weeks at the end of the summer I should go ahead and do it.

I started off getting all excited about using a spray gun and some nice Dupont Imron paint. Well, the $300 price tag that was quoted to me for just the paint supplies quickly ended that idea. Instead, I went with the Dupli-color line of spray cans, even though I hear this means the paint won't be as resistant to gas. Oh well.

I didn't take any pictures of the side plates, unfortunately.

First I started with a few of my friends (lol...yeah right!)

These are the paints I used. The sandable primer, ocean blue metal specks, and acrylic enamel was used on the tank. The adhesion promoter, ocean blue metal specks, acrylic enamel, and chrome enamel (for lettering) was used on the side plates.

This is how the tank looked before. Some of the paint was cracking and it was sticky at the bottom where the seat was in contact with it (thus the white stuff).

The underside showed the original color of a lighter blue:

I made a little contraption in the back yard to hang the tank from while spraying it. I actually later found that the paint lays on better on a horizontal surface and thus put the last few layers of clear coat on with the tank laying flat.

Even though the paint stripper really attacked the paint on the tank, I had to lay on four layers and then do some sanding (wet sanding with 400 grit) to get it all off. What a pain to get those corners! I took a wire brush powered by an electric drill to the areas with rust (just under the "Suzuki" plates and the back right corner).

The side plates were hand sanded (wet) with 320 grit.

The bare metal of the tank after stripping and sanding.

The primer layer, which was wet sanded with 1500 grit. This picture was taken at night, so it's a little dark.

The side plates got a layer of adhesion promotor instead of primer.

Then I laid on the ocean blue metal specks. Makes for a nice color, and turned the grass beneath it a nice shade of blue.

I then laid on a whole mess of layers of clear coat. For the tank, I let some layers dry, did a light wet sanding with 1500 grit, and then put more layers on. I believe there were 16 light layers in total. That might seem like a lot, but since it was hanging vertical for all but the last four, the buildup was minimal.

There was some light orange peal at the end, so I wet sanded it with 2000 grit. I then used Turtlewax rubbing compound followed by No7 Clearcoat Polishing Compound to clean it up real nice and make it smooth as butter. The end result was a beautiful finish.

I didn't bother with all the sanding and such on the underside.

For the side plates, I also used some frisket paper to make some stencils of the letters "GS550L" and painted that on the plates with a chrome paint. Even though I was real careful in cutting out the letters for the stencils, the edging didn't come out real smooth (curves were choppy at times). However, that's only really noticable from close, and it looks pretty good from a slight distance.

When reinstalling the tank, I got a little gas on the underside (after the paint had cured for 7 days, as suggested). It did a pretty good job of softening the paint. Of course, with all the layers, it's quite possible that it'll take a lot longer for the paint to fully cure. Either way, I'm going to be really careful when filling her up.

Let me know your thoughts!

--Tyler

Tyler,

Nice job. It looks good. The paint will take at least a month to fully cure. Then some good carnuba wax to protect it, and your a pro.

Chris

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Very nice. Let the paint cure in the sun as much as possible.

Comment

that looks fantastic. I like the color, and Im sure its even nicer in "real life"

great job!

Comment

That is very pretty and I agree that it probably looks even better in real life.

I'm especially impressed with your creative use of the tether-ball set.

Comment

Sweet.

Now, where do you want me to send mine? :twisted:

Comment

Very nice job 8) 8) 8) 8)
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

:P Excellent work . . are you for hire

Comment

very nice bro... seems like you knew what you were doing!!... i work at a collision shop... i'm a painter prep/painter... one of the guys that sells us out paint was talking about his bike and how he was doing this and that to it... so then one day he finally brought it in... and it was the worst paint job i have ever seen... it was hideous... n e way point of that little story... looks 10 million times better than that guys paint job did... and he used professional equipment... once again damn good job bro!!

Comment

Wow... Night and day...
                      2010 Honda VFR1200F
                      1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                      Being Revisited
                      1981 Honda CM400T
                      http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

plastic?

That looks great. As I am not a big fan of the original color of my GS, I am thinking of doing the same in the off-season.

What did you use for the side covers? I would think that the stripper may eat at the plastic?. Or did you just sand it all off?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments guys! It was my first time doing a painting job like this, so I was pretty pleased with the results.

Mick829 - the paint on the side plates was sanded off by hand. I used a hand sanding block for the flat areas and just my fingers for the edges and corners where the block couldn't get. It was all done with 320 grit wet sanding and then finished with a quick go-over of 400 grit to smooth it out a little more. This process took plenty of time to do carefully. Since I didn't want to put the "GS550L" side plates back on (I only had one), I also filled the holes for them with some bondo (putting masking tape on the back to block the holes' exits) when done and then sanded that smooth.

--Tyler

Comment

Tyler Nice job on your bike.

To everyone else reading this. Almost anyone can do a job that well. The most important part in PATEINCE. Let me repeat that PATEINCE! The best paint jobs in the world are the best because of Patience and attention to detail. Don't skimp on the hand sanding or the sand paper. If you are going to be in a hurry to ride your bike don't do it, have it done. If you have another bike to ride then go for it.

This article from the Garage section is what I used to repaint mine GS 850. The only changes I made were the paint I used. I followed the directions on the cans. I used Dupli Color and the color is called Magenta Gold.

Here is also a couple of articles on polishing the aluminum bits and pieces:

This is how my rattle can paint job turned out:
                            [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwAAAGcVmgCFrAB5RVguVoNt9cKrh9v!UwuqhDszMUkT34N2z la!D8N73n0052d1YayR2*OoiQUwnhTLV0bYnJU*abqE0*pZujc 08z8tPg0/after1.JPG[/img]
                            [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQAAAE8UiLMvCUJ1ne9Diou38eL35xC8x4bLk9ieLHMmI7a9T R2ErHcSq8yZrbw8xhetohbxIOVAbm*5OM*bAjUngsUjXEJB05O SmPxCCHk/57-2.jpg[/img][/url]

Comment

Very nice Jay!

Comment

Working...
                              X