How to Remove Case Emblems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Remove Case Emblems?

I just got new "DHOC" and "Suzuki" engine case emblems for my '78 GS750. They come with adhesive backing so I assume the original ones are held on this way. My question is - how do I get the old ones off? I don't want to start digging with a knife or other sharp implement for fear of damaging the aluminum. Any suggestions?

Yes, they are held on by two sided sticky tape. Get some masking tape or any other type of tape that will stick to the case, and put a few layers on top of each other right beside the edge of the emblem where you are going to work. Do this so you don't scratch the surface on the case. You are going to have to pry it loose. Get a small pointy knife or a one sided razor blade and work slowly at getting the edge up. You can try applying some heat in the form of a hair dryer to see if it will soften the tape up a bit. Once you get an edge, it should be fairly easy to get the rest off. Once it is off, you will need to remove all of the old adhesive and clean things up before you apply the new emblem. Take care to ensure the new one is level with the world before you firmly put it in place.

Good luck...Craig

Comment

See, the search feature does work. thaniks Craig
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I took mine off when I polished the cases. The aircraft stripper I used to rid the clear softened them up a bit. I used a knife to pry up a spot.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by bj
          I just got new "DHOC" and "Suzuki" engine case emblems for my '78 GS750. They come with adhesive backing so I assume the original ones are held on this way. My question is - how do I get the old ones off? I don't want to start digging with a knife or other sharp implement for fear of damaging the aluminum. Any suggestions?
          I heated them up with an industrial heat gun,(softens up the glue) then used a utility knife to pry out the decal. Worked perfect. A hairdryer would work also.

FYI: DON'T forget you need to line up the tiny notch in the emblem, with the cast dimple in your case!!

Comment

Ditto the heat gun. Next to an impact driver, it's one of the most valuable tools for working on these old bikes.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

When I took them off of my old GS500, I was able to do it just by working my way between the sticker and the case with a plastic cake knife. Wont hurt the aluminum but stiff enough to break through the glue.

Comment

Where did you get the case emblems...kinda having trouble finding them.

Thanks
                Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2006, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Not really recommended, but sliding them down road at 80 KPH works very well.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I used a ladder leg, and old broom bristle and a length of garden hose...vinyl NOT rubber!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy
                      Not really recommended, but sliding them down road at 80 KPH works very well.
                      DANG, Sandy Did I miss the thread that you laid it down? I knew you were looking for a points cover.....

I have one with a small crack on the bottom of it if you still need one. No charge.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I bought a chrome contact cover on ebay about three months ago. Description said it was stronger than stock aluminum. Pic looked great and the price was right, so I bought it. Was a hassle to get and finally with all my anticipation it arrived and it was a pos plastic pos. Couldn't look defeat in the face so i put a decal on it and installed it. Let's see, plastic and high heat:-( To say the least it spiderwebbed out and now looks like sh*t. Finally found a REAL chrome contact cover on ebay and it has the E model black decal and it looks pretty bad so I need to get it off without screwing up the beautiful chrome. OOOOh shiny!
                        Last edited by chef1366; 07-16-2006, 08:51 PM.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
                          DANG, Sandy Did I miss the thread that you laid it down? I knew you were looking for a points cover.....

I have one with a small crack on the bottom of it if you still need one. No charge.
                          Yeah, about a year ago actually. I searched for the thread but it somehow went missing. Anyway thanks for the offer of the points cover, however I've managed to polish most of the damage off mine and replaced the emblem, it looks not bad actually. Let's just say the bike survived better than I did, but we both healed very well. I'll post a little more in the rally thread so as not to hijack this one.
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Where Is Everyone Getting These Emblems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tcraft128
                              Where Is Everyone Getting These Emblems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Wow..... seriously? Bike Bandit, Alpha sports, any place at all that sells OEM parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X