LED console beginnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED console beginnings

2 winters ago I stripped my console from my bike and applied a bike computer. I have been wanting ever since to create a place for the indicators.

Well I finally just ran over to the ole Radio Shack and picked up to pre-resistored LED assemblies, red and green, they don't have yellow or blue assemblies. Turns out they fit pretty good right into the headlight bucket.

For a test fit and a start this was good enough for me.

Once I see these last for a while I'll work on creating my own assemblies and perhaps brighter LEDs. And a 7 segment LED for a gear indicator is on my list... I just need to work out the electronic crud for that part.

looks like a good start. I'll be watching your progress!

Comment

Anybody have an idea where I can find these on a consumer level?

Comment

Here are some distributors in your area. Work your way through the list here: http://www.vcclite.com/distribution.htm and you're sure to find something! You might try mouser and jameco first. Good luck!
        -sidd

Company BT ELECTRONICS
        Address 108 ST PATRICK DRIVE
        ROCHESTER, NY 14623
        Phone (585) 334-3378
        Fax (585) 334-0692
        E-Mail tom@btelectronics.us
        Web Site www.btelectronics.us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Company Newark InOne
        Address 4250 VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY STE #301
        HOLBROOK, NY 11741
        Toll Free (800) 2-NEWARK (800-263-9275)
        Phone (631) 738-6776
        Fax (631) 738-6886
        Web Site www.newarkinone.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Company Newark InOne
        Address 7449 MORGAN AVE, 1ST FLOOR
        LIVERPOOL, NY 13090
        Toll Free (800) 2-NEWARK (800-263-9275)
        Phone (315) 457-4873
        Fax (315) 457-6096
        E-Mail syracuse@newarkinone.com
        Web Site www.newarkinone.com

Comment

Thanks, I'll check them out! They seem more versitile and sturdy that the Radio Shack ones.

I stopped by a mall in CT while attending my wife's graduation yesterday and they had orange LEDs like the red and green ones I already had.

I had planned on using one orange for the turn and one (possibly modified to look a little different) for the Hi Beam. Turns out it don't work as well as I thought. The turn signals send current in a seemingly opposite polarity depending on the side of the bike that is flashing. This meant that the flasher indicator as installed would only flash on one side. I tried connecting the second LED to the HI and turn, but that caused a total malfunction of the signals so that was out. I went ahead and opted for directional turn signal indicators:

I am not 100% on how I feel about this now that it is done, but perhaps it'll grow on me. That or a tiny Buell-like fly screen will help.

Comment

The negative polarity thing is totally strange. Have you verified this with a multi-meter? I traced the wiring diagram (for my '83 750, mind you), and I can't see why that would be the case. As far as I can tell, the pulsed DC comes from the relay, and gets wired to either pair (L or R) of both the turn signals and the TS lights on the panel. Strange indeed.

As for how it looks, its not my cup of tea (too many clashing colors). I would prefer using wide angle led's that have no lense, so they look clear when unlit, and mount them in a neatly drilled piece of alumanum.

Either way, keep up the good work! I'll post about mine whenever I get started on it!

Comment

I didn't even think to do that... the multimeter was within reach too.

I can say that both LEDs wired to the same wires in opposite polarity does in fact light seperately depending on the side I turn on. I'll look into testing this just for interest's sake

The clear lensed LEDs sound like a nice way to go. I have been afraid from the start that I'd have a tough time seeing it in daylight. But as far as I can tell these are as bright as the original indicators. I could get smaller (brighter perhaps as well) LEDs with more investigation and planning.

I'll look further into this as I really do want a smaller headlight too. I just wanted to get something done to get my feet wet. Can't wait to see what you might whip up too. I am still considering the 7 segment display for gear position.

Comment

When you get around to the gear indicator, you might find the July 2005 issue of Nuts & Volts enjoyable. There is an article on exactly what you want to do. Then again, I get the feeling figuring out how to do it yourself is a big part of why you want to do it.

Comment

Working...
                X