Claening up the orginal wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claening up the orginal wheels.

I have a 1980 GS1100ET and have been restoring it for some time. The wheels that I have are fine but are old, dirty and the more I try to clean them the more the Orginal Black paint comes off. I would like to make the bike as orginal as possible but am not against painting or Chromeing them. Is there anyone out there that has Chromed there wheels and do you have a photo? Dose any one know how dofficult the process is to repaint the wheels a different color or back to the orginal Black.

The Beast :twisted:

No real help here, I'm in the same boat but haven't decided what I'll do. Maybe a powder coat? I think I remember one of the bike of the months had chromed wheels and they looked nice, but maybe a little pricey.
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Great topic. I have two sets of wheels for my 78 GS1000, both in good shape but faded black paint. I was thinking of playing with one set by stripping all the black off and completely polishing them. I'm not sure how they will look or how much work it would be. Has anyone done this to their wheels? They would also look great if they were back to original black in the centers. Maybe carefully mask and paint with a spray can or by hand??
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Cool bike
        I reckon the easiest way would be to have the wheels powder-coated and then ,if you wanted ,to repolish the rims.

Comment

I dont have pics but i polished the aluminum on mine then masked and painted the faded black paint and the last step i did was spray eastwoods diamond clear on them They look perfect (to me anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by graham harron
            I dont have pics but i polished the aluminum on mine then masked and painted the faded black paint and the last step i did was spray eastwoods diamond clear on them They look perfect (to me anyway)
            What kind of paint did you use?
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The paint i used was SEMS semi flat black enamal as the real protection from the elements comes from the eastwood diamond clear. One note i highly recommend using eastwood diamond clear as it seems to be the only clear that REALLY sticks to aluminum.

Comment

This might be a silly question but where did you get the paint and do they have the SEMS in different colors.

How did you prep the wheels? Did you have to use a primer? How long ago did you do the work? If it has been a while have you had any problems with flakeing or chips?

Comment

I think any quality paint will work for the color coat. I tried to leave as much of the black on there as i could as it would be a good base for the black paint i used no primer but i did clean it up with scotch brite type pads. They also do wonders for the aluminum to restore a shine without taking off too much matl. I did get sems paint a a local auto body supply store.

Comment

I powdercoated and polished mine. I'm very happy with how they came out. Still have an original look but with more flash. They look great in motion. You do have to re-polish once in awhile to retain the shine. Pic' doesn't do it justice really.

And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Are the stock GS wheels clear coated also?

Comment

Wow nice wheels!!!!! I hope I can get mine to look as nice.

Comment

WOW!!! Keith those are incredible. Ray
                          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

for mine I used that heavy industrial paint remover, and then spray painted. powder coat would definetly be better, but in my case more expensive and I wouldn't of been able to do it in my garage. I did however paint the entire wheel black, so your masking job would be more difficult. If at all possible it would make your masking job much easier to have the tire off the wheel, masking the tire was very difficult and I could not use the paint remover too close to the tire in fear that I got some on the rubber. email me if you'd like a picture

Comment

Working...
                            X