Custom gauges on a GS700ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom gauges on a GS700ES

I messed the gauges up trying to repar them on my wifes GS700ES. I tried finding some that were in good shape for a good price, but I didn't really have any luck.

I had a 600 Katana laying around that was in pretty bad shape, so I figured I could do something with the gauges. I also got a fuel gauge off a 750 Katana since it is about 1/2 the size of the 600 fuel gauge. I also wanted to break up the size issue a little. The Dummy lights are from the 600 also and the gear indicator cluster I hacked out of the gauge pod.

I have a little trim work to do and the gear indicator cluster is a little crooked, so I'll probably just make a whole new dash panel. The panel is made out of 1/8" aluminum plate. I haven't figured whether I will paint it when the bike gets painted or if I will polish and clearcoat the aluminum. Suggestions would be great.

Everything works good except for the speedo runs a little fast. I need to gat my buddy who is a cop to clock me with it to see how far off it is. Oh, the 700 will never see that 12,000 RPM redline either

Oh, the 700 will never see that 12,000 RPM redline either
    oh it will. you'll just throw a valve adjustment lock nut into the timing chain, jam the crankshaft and snap a camshaft in three. but oh yeah, it'll go that high.

looks great btw. I say paint it black. thats what the top of the fairing/handle bar risers/triple tree is painted, so I say match it.

Comment

Looks good. Gives me an idea for mine except without the fairing it would be a touch more work.

Comment

Cosmetically, the bike needs a lot more work. The Fairing that I used is a mess to begin with, so I wasn't losing anything there. I have a spare one that is red and white that is in pretty good shape. I'm going to do the ABS repairs to this fairing and I will paint both fairings the same. That way if I find another set of stock gauges, I have the option of putting them back on.

I pretty much had to cut out the entire front section of the top to get this dash pannel in, but I'm reletively happy with the results. The important part is that the wife likes it. It's her bike, so that's what really matters.

Comment

Looks good. I would go with black paint also as a polished dash may blind you if the sun hits it right. If you use the sender off of the Kat you should get a closer reading on the speedometer. The GS uses a 16 inch wheel and the Kats' is 17 inch. The sender is geared for the wheel size.

Comment

Originally posted by FTGRET
            Looks good. I would go with black paint also as a polished dash may blind you if the sun hits it right. If you use the sender off of the Kat you should get a closer reading on the speedometer. The GS uses a 16 inch wheel and the Kats' is 17 inch. The sender is geared for the wheel size.
            Thanks for the info on the Speedo Drive unit. I'll try it out.

Comment

Working...
            X