Ceramic Coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceramic Coat?

Has anyone had their exhaust ceramic coated? I have been tossing this idea around, since all the black on my Yoshimura system is in need of a paint job anyway. I'm getting the frame powder coated and the people who are doing the coating will also ceramic coat the exaust. The exhaust will cost between $125 and $150, depending on how much prep work is required.

My 1100EZ has a ceramic coated 4x1......it will easily out-last VHT high-temp paint or similar.....mine still looks pretty good after 3 years. Its not as indestructable as they claim though...i rode my bike on a freakishly warm winters day last year, and the salt in the melted snow did pit the section of pipe directly under the bike (I did'nt think to wash it off after riding :roll: ). Request them to shoot some into the pipes as well, in the interest of longevity of your exhaust system.

Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

There was some discussions about this a while back. I believe either last winter, or spring.

Sounded like there were several people doing this. I've heard good things about it. As long as your pipes are in good shape to begin with.

Comment

I've had mine powder coated last year but my bike isn't running so I haven't put them on yet. They look great black though and are guarenteed for 5 years against any rust of cracks.

Comment

Just ceramic coated my 4 into 1. My pipes were black and they came back just super. HOpefully all the trouble with black exhausts will be over for me for a while.

Beware that if you ceramic coat a chrome exhaust the finish will be a little more dull. That sounds negative but they still look very nice. Check it out before you go for it.

I just did the outside, but you can also ceramic coat the inside as well. Pipes do not need to be new but should be in good shape as noted above.

There are also a couple of different "qualities" of ceramic coating and different temperature ratings at least from the outfit that did mine. (HPC, High Performance Coatings) out of Oklahoma. I don't have an Indy Car so I went with the basic coating.

Comment

Thanks Mark.
            I'm having it done in Wichita by a place called Lorac. They do powdercoating, metal fabrication and ceramic coating. They powdercoated a set of wheels for a buddy of mine and they came out great.

Comment

Make sure to let us know how it turns out.

Comment

what about thermo-wrapping?

I'm reading more and more about guys wrapping the headers to get more flow. I've seen the wrapping in black on the internet for about $30
                I know to some it may look ugly but it could be a cheap way to cover ugly rusted headers AND improve performance. Just food for thought.

Comment

Re: what about thermo-wrapping?

Originally posted by Brando
                  I'm reading more and more about guys wrapping the headers to get more flow. I've seen the wrapping in black on the internet for about $30
                  I know to some it may look ugly but it could be a cheap way to cover ugly rusted headers AND improve performance. Just food for thought.
                  Be carefull, the wrap will induce rusting.
                  It traps the moisture/

IMHO ceramic coatings are the best way to go, and as stated have the insde sprayed also~
                  Costly but worth the $$ and the longevity it provides.

Comment

Yes, that's a very good point. That's why I joined this website. Many heads are better than one. Although it's hard to understand how something so hot can hold moisture but I'm certainly no expert. I guess when the headers cool it draws moisture into the wrap?

Comment

Originally posted by Brando
                      Yes, that's a very good point. That's why I joined this website. Many heads are better than one. Although it's hard to understand how something so hot can hold moisture but I'm certainly no expert. I guess when the headers cool it draws moisture into the wrap?
                      one of many ways yes, condensation being one of them/

Comment

Header wrap is supposed to be coated with a sealant that waterproofs it. Most people don't realize this and skip that step. It's not as simple as wrapping hockey stock grips.

Adam in NC has wrapped his header, and coated it with the waterproofing- ask him about it. Done correctly it won't induce rusting.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Beware that if you ceramic coat a chrome exhaust the finish will be a little more dull.
                          Mark, was it a chrome colored chrome or the "black chrome" of the 83 1100E and alike pipes that will be duller if you ceramic coat it? I've got some stock "black chrome" pipes that I am planning on ceramic coating sometime in the next year or so.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Not certain about "black chrome". My 4 into 1 was painted gloss black when I got it. I'm assuming that a ceramic coating will be a little less reflective than black chrome. The ceramaic coating does have about the same gloss as the orginal paint on my system, but now it's a little deeper, or richer black. Personally I like the look better than stock black chrome. If I have time, I'll post a pic, but it won't be until next week.

In I my post above, I was speaking of the chrome finish of a standard chrome (colored) exhaust system, or other under the hood components. The ceramic coating gives a deeper "creamier" look, and does reflect, but doesn't have the same clear mirror-like reflection.

Comment

The exhaust is ceramic coated on my yellow (850) bike. 25000 miles (5 years) ago. I saw it is as the only way to assure myself of a stock exhaust for a long time into the future. Given the expense and hassle of locating and replacing exhaust systems I consider it the best investment I have made for my bike after the r/r stator upgrade. As mentioned above, it has a satin rather than shiny finish. It doesn't look bad though.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X